• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other Vanilla experienced players, please help.

howa003

Authorized
Hi,
I never played on Vanilla (I started on TBC) so I do not have any experience with which class is good in PvP, useful in PvE etc. So I would like to ask anyone who has some experience to help me decide which class to go with.

I have already read few threads here on twin forum, but still not enough info.
I am aiming for some PvP but mostly PvE on lvl 60 (so I don't want class that gets rejected to most instances:D) and not hard leveling.

I wanted to go Shaman, because of windfury, travel form, self heal during leveling and versatility on lvl 60. BUT I heard that enha dps sucks, ele is better but still sucks compared to mage/lock and in healing it's behind priest and druid.
So basically just useable for heal + totem.
My other choice would be Druid (again travel form, heal during leveling, versatility), but again "go heal or gtfo class".
Hunters are easiest to lvl, but "hunters were mostly only taken along for tranq shot / kiting / pulling" and "are replacable". And minimum amount wanted in instances.
Rogue is best for PvP but not that good in PvE. Leveling is slow, cannot AOE grind, no travel boost while leveling. Minimum amount wanted in instances.
Warlock is #2 in PvE dmg. Good for leveling due to pet, fear, dmg and free mount on lvl 40. Also wanted in instances.
Mage #1 PvE dmg. Great for leveling due to AOE grind, teleport, food/drink. Wanted in instances. But is really squishy right?

Could anyone please tell me if my information is right? If I missed anything major these classes?
So most probably I would go with warlock. Is there some reason it would be a bad idea?
Thanks a lot :)

P.S.: Didn't include warrios (hate their low leveling speed), priests (soooo squishy and slow leveling) and paladins (ret-joke, prot-useless, heal-mediocre).

Last edited:
Well for shaman I would say all specs are pretty good in pvp, but as all healer classes in vanilla you are expected to heal in pve (with a rare exception here and there). As far as I know they are actually pretty good healers with their chain heal. And it is interesting to bring 8 shamans to certain encounters like the frost wand blob in aq40.

Rogues are a decent pve dps and the best on some encounters. But hunters tend to be on the lower end of the dps meters.

Hey Howa - I actually played a 60 Shaman and 60 Druid on the last Vanilla server I played on. Like Jorim said, PvP-wise all 3 Shaman specs are pretty durable but if you're looking to do PvE of any kind, Resto is the only way. But I wouldn't say Shamans are worse healers than any other class though, far from it.

With my Druid I actually played Feral at 60 as a tank, but it's a hard spec. Getting def capped is almost impossible as there's not a lot of gear made for Druid tanks, and pretty much every raiding guild won't let you join as a tank. When it comes to 5-man dungeons Druid tanks are amazing though, as they have so much HP and great tanking abilities.
I used to off-tank on a few ZG bosses on my old guild as a Druid, but like I said, it's hard to find any guild who will take you unless you're specced Resto.

When that is said, I really enjoyed playing both classes, some of the most fun I've ever had in WoW.

When Kronos launches I want a new experience though, and I think I'll go for a Hunter, as I've never really played that class and Holy Paladin for my alt, as it's what I used to play in Retail.

pve: warrior: prot, fury
shaman/priest/druid: heal
Rogue/mage/lock: dps
Hunter: dps/support

dunno about pala, horde ftw! all classes/specs are more or less decent in pvp, just choose whatever u want to play!

Imo mage is the best choice if you wanna have some world pvp etc. cause even if they are kinda squishy they still have a ton of shields, massive cc and in pve they are really good dpsers, althought i dont think they are #1 atleast in mc/bwl but that depends on a lot of things i guess.

pve: warrior: prot, fury
Arms is viable aswell on the horde side.

Yes, mage is good choice. Basicaly, if you master him, then only war/rogue with Free Action potion will most likely be your doom. Anything else is not hard for you.
And if you are realy lazy, you can allways go Pom+pyro spec which once in 3 minutes allows you basicaly delete one enemy of your choice (with a bit of spell damage gear ofc) :biggrin:

Thanks everyone :)
If I might bother you just for little longer ... So you would pick Mage over Warlock? And why? What are theirs pros and cons in PvP, PvE and leveling? And the most important question ... which one is easier to master? :D

Thanks everyone :)
If I might bother you just for little longer ... So you would pick Mage over Warlock? And why? What are theirs pros and cons in PvP, PvE and leveling? And the most important question ... which one is easier to master? :D
well mage has 1 button + cds, warlock 1 button life tap. Neither is particularly hard.

I personaly don't like locks :smile: But to the relevant arguments:
For PvP i prefer mage because of instant CC (frost nova) and pasive enemy slow (frost armor). Furthermore, as sayed above, you are able to IK one enemy. Lock on the other hand have easyer time if you manage to get fear out before enemy gets to you (but wars have berserker rage, that sucks). Then you can use all DoTs and then spam SB/Fear to kill. It's easyer. Basicaly, mage is able to survive much more (in frost) and lock is able to kill anyone using fear.
In PvE.. i don't know, both are one button spam, but lock have life tap which will help you a lot with low gear. In MC, locks usualy top DPS.
During leveling - Frost mage is decent and can solo kite elites while lock have pet+fear which makes leveling a piece of cake. So none of them have it hard. + Mage have portals and lock summon.

Hard choices... I was 99% sure to play a druid but once again am torn to mage...
* mage is pretty boring in raids... forstbolt, frostbolt, frostbolt, decurse, decurse, frostbolt. Thats pretty much it 95% of the time, atleast in MC.
good thing is that almost every piece of gear you get is usefull in pve and pvp and you own in pvp, because you can have an answer for everything you enemy throws at you
* druids are way more fun in raids even if doomed to heal. A good healer can change the outcome of a bossfight significantly!
Feral or resto (flag runner) is fund in pvp but you need so much different gear for it. (At least rank 8 gear to be decent)
At lvling druids hardly have downtimes.
* rogues are similar to mages but melees, awesome in pvp but kinda boring in raids. Rogues are a little bit too dependent on their cd's against certain classes.
* hunters are ultra fun in pve but never like the pvp playstyle :(
* warlocks never played it since retail lol
* warrior getting kited sucks too bad... tanking/fury in pve is fun but needs different gear which means alot of time.
* shamans are fun in all roles (pvp, ele with good gear is godlike) and really good healers in pve because of chain heal.
* priests are ofc good healers. In raids only one shadow priest is needed for the debuffs. In pvp shadowpriests are similar to ele shamans = with gear they are gods but in imo too mana heavy. You need 40%+ for a full buff up....
* paladins are also good healers especially in pvp. Sadly too mana dependent to really tank in raids (and no taunt). As a ret only pvp will be viable but it is autohit spamming an waiting fir procs...

Ok, thanks everyone. I will probably go mage. The "every piece of gear you get is usefull" souds great :D Also "you own in pvp", "you are able to IK one enemy", "can solo kite elites" and portals and food/water is awesome :)
The main think that keeps me undecided is the free lvl 40 mount for Warlock (I guess everyone will be super poor at the beginning :D) and life tap "which would help me a lot with low gear".

Warlock -> more dmg
Mage -> better cc

Mage is easier to start with.
take care

Mages are awesome, and very fun to play in PvP. However other classes than rogue and warrior with free action potion have an advantage against you. In 1v1 your usual banes are shadow priests and SL locks, but even these can be beaten by playing well and having engineering. Also in group pvp you have a lot of utility to help your comrades.

Oh and don't worry about mana if you go for a PvE spec; you have evocation, mana stones, mage armor+arcane meditation, clearcasting and pots available, and that ought to be more than enough, just remember to drink anytime you can during a raid. As far as dmg goes, you can be on top in many fights, especially when you can go fire.

I played mage as main in retail and wholeheartedly recommend the class!

Last edited:
Dont believe people that say spam frost bolt. Those mages will never top meters. Stand closer, frost bolt, frost bolt, run up while fire blast, cone of cold, cold snap, cone of cold, blink out for range, repeat. Cold snap will not be avail all times. Best saved if there is AoE needed to max damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Even in MC where a lot of things have fire resist, the instant cast damage helps your dps even if some is resisted. Only few bosses are full immune.

Dont believe people that say spam frost bolt. Those mages will never top meters. Stand closer, frost bolt, frost bolt, run up while fire blast, cone of cold, cold snap, cone of cold, blink out for range, repeat. Cold snap will not be avail all times. Best saved if there is AoE needed to max damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Even in MC where a lot of things have fire resist, the instant cast damage helps your dps even if some is resisted. Only few bosses are full immune.

That rotation sounds like a really good way to dump your mana 1 minute into a boss fight. Seriously how could that work on a really long fight?

Mana gems can be created and heldheld on different ranks. So you should have 4 or so gems created starting with the highest rank working down. After about 400 mana is gone pop the first one, get it on CD. Then when about 1/3 mana gone, pop a potion. Then when down 800 mana pop your next mana gem. Then potion, rune, gem on cd. And you still have evocation.

If the fight is super long due to deaths on a non enrage boss, space out your instant cast a bit more to conserve mana. But after evocation is used, if your mana is higher than bossed hp, instant cast your heart out.

To Incado, instant cast abilities while weaker have a higher dps than casting moves. This applies to almost every ability for every class. What comes into play in raids is resource management/debuff slot limitations. A mage and lock have the least mana worries. If I spam frostbolt and use mana gems and what not, it will take over 12+ minutes to go oom. If the boss is dead and you have mana left, you missed out on dps.

Also on bosses that require movement, a lot of bosses, you should fireblast during positioning.

priests (soooo squishy and slow leveling)

Lol?

Priests are beasts to level with spirit tap. You almost never have to drink, and once you get mindflay at lvl 21 it's just game over. SW:p -> Mindblast -> Mindflay x2 -> Wand = Dead target + Out of 5 sec rule = Double spirit = stupid fast mana regen and onto the nextone.

Inner fire + Shadowform gives you something like a 43% physical damage reduction, combined with shields, fear, dispel (self and others), etc. and priests are anything but squishy and slow leveling.

Warlock is the best class to play on classic, you can summon a doomguard on the low lv towns and wach the alliance world burning :D

Top Bottom