• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Warrior Warrior - Staves only

res

I'm currently levelling a warrior using only staves. Started as a joke because of the fact that warriors can use staves but almost none with suitable stats for a warrior, but now I'm dedicated to the challenge.

I picked orc even though I think troll would have better racials for this kind of thing, because, well I already gimped by damage by going staves only and orcs are cool!
Since warriors can't use staves before level 10 I levelled 1-10 using unarmed combat to stay true to the challenge. To go all out I'm also only using leather and cloth items, to get fully into the martial arts/monk feel.

Also, I haven't used any other weapons and have the weapon skills to prove it, but by Axe and 2H axe skills are both at 6 instead of 5, I'm guessing that has to do with the Orc racial.

Since I don't have a lot of experience with warriors I wanted to ask what talents would be appropriate. Is it worth going arms? It has 2H specialization but there is no "staff specialization" so I'm thinking fury might be better.

I'm thinking something like
This
or
This

I also heard that Slam cancels your auto-attacks so maybe it's not worth using? Most staves are around 3.0 Speed. Maybe someone can elaborate in comments.

Some staves I'm looking forward to:

Big Stick
Black Duskwood Staff
Slavedriver's Cane

Any other suggestions? I don't know how much STR makes up for plain old DPS so I'm not sure about Big Stick vs. Duskwood staff but I'm guessing Duskwood Staff is better.

Last edited:
Hahaha, that's great! Just what I was going for, I'm going to try to wear a robe or a kilt whenever I can!
With that robe I can even get strength on it!

No mail items? You're gonna eat after every mob. Oh joy.
At least get BT or MS as early as possible, save yourself some misery ;o

In ZF you can get a staff from the last boss that has a stun effect. I'd keep my eye out for that one to ease the 40's.

In ZF you can get a staff from the last boss that has a stun effect. I'd keep my eye out for that one to ease the 40's.
I forgot about that! And now when I looked it up I found this one, too:
Bludgeon of the Grinning Dog

Looks like I will be set at later levels! There's actual GOOD staves at level 32, 33, 42, 45

This is starting to look a bit easier than I initially thought. Now I just have to get to level 32... :biggrin:

Last edited:
The best spec will be cookie cutter 2h fury, using the slowest staff you can find and making real good friends with shamans in raids/groups for windfury.

Slam resets your swingtimer, gets pushed back by getting hit, and fails if the target moves out of range. Because of this it's hard to use effectively. In endgame raids, spamming Hamstring for WF procs is better. In PvP, enemies will just walk out of melee range. In low-level dungeons it is usually worth using - get a swing timer addon and slam right after a normal white hit. You can also use it while questing if you bother to watch both yours, and the mobs swing timers to ensure your slam doesn't get pushed back.

Since I don't have a lot of experience with warriors I wanted to ask what talents would be appropriate. Is it worth going arms? It has 2H specialization but there is no "staff specialization" so I'm thinking fury might be better.

With a slow 2h weapon you better go Arms becouse you'll benefit from Mortal Strike (it's an instant attack so with a slow weapon is more efficient! Also its damage is based on your weapon damage, so again slow weapons have higher damage).

Arms is also the way to go for PvP (you'll probably face some Alliance while levelling) for three main reasons:

1. Better damage burst than Fury (more damage in a short period of time, unless you have Ironfoe...).
2. Mortal Strike also gives a -50% healing debuff to your target, so you'll be able to kill healers easily!
3. Improved Hamstring and Piercing Howl gives you more control on your opponents.

So this is the spec I'd use:

http://armory.twinstar.cz/talent-ca...035201000310505113000500000000000000000000000

Notes:

1. As you can see I've ignored Improved Heroic Strike and put some points in Deflection instead; that's becouse you'll rarely have enough rage to waste on Heroic Strike, you better keep your rage to use Mortal Strike all the times and/or Whirlwind (Heroic Strike is not instant).

2. I've ignored Improved Battle Shout for some other abilities: Piercing Howl (that helps you slow down enemies that are out of range or just slow down a group of mobs/players), Blood Craze (every tiny bit of extra health can help you to win a fight), and Improved Cleave (can be usefull when you have extra rage and you're fighting at least two mobs). So I wouldn't trade all the benefits from Blood Craze and Piercing Howl for an almost meaningless attack power bonus (at least for PvP).

3. I understand all this challenge thing and the role playing excitement... but why don't you just reroll enhancement shaman instead? You'd probably have less troubles levelling with a stick. :push:

Last edited:
He's sticking to cloth / leather, don't think he is worried about defending himself.

I prefer tatical mastery myself, however for a lvl 1-39 standpoint, /sit macro fury enrage is the way to go.

The extra damage you take from the purposeful crit taken, is a lot of times actually less damage taken once you factor in the amount healed due to taking the crit. Especially when grinding mobs 3-4 levels lower than you.

Top Bottom