• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other What professions should I go for

duncanator39

Hey i'm a level 10 warrior (night elf) and was wondering what professions I should go for, and should I wait to do them at a higher level or do them now? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If it's your first character, I recommend not getting any crafting professions, only gathering professions.

Crafting professions are expensive to level, and only really generate money/usefulness later on.

Go for gathering professions and focus on getting funds, save for your mount, buy replacements for your worst gear pieces if you need to.

Skinning
Herbalism
Mining

Herb/Mining are the most profitable but I don't really like mixing them since you can't overlap the Find Herbs/Find Ores

If it's your first character, I recommend not getting any crafting professions, only gathering professions.

Crafting professions are expensive to level, and only really generate money/usefulness later on.

Go for gathering professions and focus on getting funds, save for your mount, buy replacements for your worst gear pieces if you need to.

Skinning
Herbalism
Mining

Herb/Mining are the most profitable but I don't really like mixing them since you can't overlap the Find Herbs/Find Ores
So do you recommend that I do herbing and skinning?

Re: What should my professions be at before I leave the zone

At level 20+ you should have both at around 100.
I had to go back to Westfall at level 26 because i was behind (had 70 in herbalism).
I skilled herbalism from 75-120 in westfall by only walking around the edges of the map, starting way up north at the very first murloc camp then along the coast all the way to deadmines. From there i would go up the mountains in the defias zone in the south, then along the river separating duskwood & westfall back to were i started. After one round most of the herbs had already respawned and i only needed 2-3 runs to skill up.

If you're a miner and you have problems getting mining from around 80-125, go to the cave in the very south of wetlands. There's about 25-35 Incendicite veins that will get you to 125+ (iron ire is 125 req). When you've completed the entire cave, they've already started to respawn at the beginning again.

I'm doing herbalism/mining and i have about 35g on level 30. Items/ores and herbs are more expensive at level 30+ so i guess i'l be around 50-60g when i get to 40.

The bad part about having gathering proffessions when leveling is time and space.

Time~
Many herbs or veins are located at pretty stupid spots and you would have to either clear some mobs before looting it or go around a mountain/hill etc.

Space~
If you don't have a bank character your bags will be full very fast, and you need to find a bank to put all the ores and herbs for later. Create a level 1 character (i recommend human if you're alliance or orc/troll if you're horde) and just walk it to your nearest city and camp it there. Mail every ore, herb, white & green items to it and quickly you will see the gold coming in. The whole process with having a bank character is heavily relied upon time spent. You have to mail items and also constantly list items on AH if you want to earn.
Check the price difference between ores and bars. Sometimes ores are more expensive and vice versa. Smelt the ores before sending them to your bank alt if bars are more expensive.

In these days, the server is flooded with lower level characters and alot of them have gathering proffessions. The demand for material isn't as high as the supply, so prices are going up and down alot depending on the day and time of day. Most of the time the prices are much lower than they should be.
Be careful when listing your ores & herbs on the AH and try to wait a few days if the prices are very low. Most likely someone will buy alot of it and the prices will normalize for some hours/days before people start heavily undercutting it again without alot of people buying.

I have the standard bank-bag full of ores that i'm waiting to sell until the biggest levelling epidemic is over and the supply/demand is pretty much equal, i'l probably double my income compared to listing it now.

For levelling you really don't need crafting proffessions, it only takes time and money and won't give you a big advantage when levelling because you will replace your gear in a couple of levels anyways. Tailoring bags is nice but if you try what i wrote over here you will have more than enough money to buy them yourself. When you get to 60, simply replace either mining/skinning or herbalism with a crafting proffesion that fits with your other proffession and you can skill it up without using too much gold.

I think mining/herbalism is a very nice combination, even though it takes time. Skinning is the most used proffesion on the server atm and i constantly see people skinning my mobs after iv'e looted them. Alot of skinners = lower prices, but i havn't checked the AH for skinning materials so i don't know for sure.

So do you recommend that I do herbing and skinning?
Get whichever of the 3 you like :smile:

Also, you could get enchanting. Don't level it (that costs money), just disenchant all the cheap greens and soulbound stuff you get as you level, sell the materials, profit

I think mining/herbalism is a very nice combination, even though it takes time. Skinning is the most used proffesion on the server atm and i constantly see people skinning my mobs after iv'e looted them. Alot of skinners = lower prices, but i havn't checked the AH for skinning materials so i don't know for sure.
Yeah they're the most profitable for sure, I just kind of find it annoying to switch between find herbs and find ores, and you can easily miss stuff. With skinning yup market's always flooded, I vendor most stuff until higher levels when you can get a little bit of a profit margin. But it's still income.

Why the hate for fishing? At low levels, it's by far the most profitable thing you can do, since stonescale eels and nightfin snappers are bound to sell for plenty of gold. Sure, it's a little tedious to level up, but ~2 - 3 days spent getting to 200 - 250 fishing is all you need.

I can tell you this much -- selling stacks of stonescale eels for 7 - 8g beats running around, trying to gather ore nodes or some such nonsense to sell for veritable pennies. Or spending fortunes and weeks of grueling effort trying to get a primary profession up to the point where you can even start making returns, let alone profit.

Last edited:
Why the hate for fishing? At low levels, it's by far the most profitable thing you can do, since stonescale eels and nightfin snappers are bound to sell for plenty of gold. Sure, it's a little tedious to level up, but ~2 - 3 days spent getting to 200 - 250 fishing is all you need.

I can tell you this much -- selling stacks of stonescale eels for 7 - 8g beats running around, trying to gather ore nodes or some such nonsense to sell for veritable pennies. Or spending fortunes and weeks of grueling effort trying to get a primary profession up to the point where you can even start making returns, let alone profit.

Why make money whilst leveling, when you can just sit there for 2-3 days fishing for gold!

Haha I think he was asking about primary professions, because everyone can get fishing :tongue:

But yep fishing is also good for money. If you hit 40 and it's bugging you that you don't have your mount, you can take a break from leveling and fish for money. At mid levels stonescale eels and oily blackmouths can sell. And once you can get 225 with lures for 100% catch rate in nightfin areas, then it's even better.

But farming at 60 is better gold per hour, don't waste too much time.

Top Bottom