• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Why I've chosen Kronos over...that other place

willynilly

Authorized
I'm posting this hoping that anyone else in the same boat I've been in will come across it and it will help them reach the same decision I have in choosing between the two new vanilla servers. I sat back for the past few months and watched the hype trains, took some looks during beta, tried to remain unbiased and eventually find a home on one of these two servers.

Looking at the differences on paper between the two servers in question, it was virtually a toss up. Kronos seems to be better quality, but the population elsewhere was enticing, and the ping is also slightly lower for me. To cut to the chase though, it boils down to the people, community and staff alike, which led to my decision.

Previously, I played on Molten for a long time. I chose that place because it had the largest population, and was...well, better than some other servers in terms of quality. I enjoyed the population. It made almost everything easier; raiding, 5-manning, questing, PvP, etc.. I say almost everything because while it was easy to find other people to do those things, the quality of those people was shit. On the forums, in-game, I felt like I was dealing with complete retards who were also the most toxic people I have ever encountered. Let's call them jerks.

These jerks would ruin instance groups by pulling too many mobs, forgetting to heal, not knowing what DPS was, rolling on items that they shouldn't, or going afk for extended periods without notifying, and almost every group had at least one jerk. The jerks would ruin PvP, it was nearly impossible to find a group of people who would actually attempt the objective in a battleground. Yeah, they were warm bodies, but I found myself wishing they weren't.

Then I'd log in to the forums and OH MY BALLS the jerks were there in force. We've all known those guys, the ones who make the actual trolls look like card-carrying Mensa members. Racism, arrogance to the point of narcissism, sense of entitlement, and poor English skills abound. They frustrated me enough that I got banned from their forums for calling people out on their jerkishness...thrice...on three different accounts. Oops.

The staff...god bless 'em, they had to deal with these people day in and day out, I can't blame them for being Nazis who gave no ear to the community....but they were Nazis who gave no ear to the community. There was no transparency (outside of the bug tracker, but that more as inactive than my sex life...yeesh), everything was shady.

I look at that other server and I see Molten all over again. The toxicity on their forums, the hate, the arrogance, the complaints of racism from day 1, and of course the huge population. I see the staff with no transparency, not even a bug tracker, like gods on their thrones high above, only seen when they're smiting someone for who knows what.

I look here, at Kronos, and I see the IRC channel, the transparency from devs and GM's alike, the community involvement, and the relative lack of jerks from the general populace...and I know if I chose the other server over this one, I'd regret it. Over there, it's New York City. Here, it's a sunny suburb. Quieter, slower...but far less jerks, and I like it that way.

I'm dying of sexual frustration, that was a cry for help. :crying:
I could totally suggest some... silicone sculptures... my husband swears by. Lol. :laugh:

But in all seriousness, sounds like a good decision. For me personally, I've been on retail. Got a bit bored, decided to see if private servers got any better (it's been years, and the scripting back then was TERRIBLE) ... and well, I was surprised. It's great! It just sucks that some asshole is DoSing the server when the mods are offline.

I'm sure that'll get sorted out within the week and all will be well. People panic too much.

It just sucks that some asshole is DoSing the server when the mods are offline.

I'm sure that'll get sorted out within the week and all will be well. People panic too much.

Seems to me it's just abuse of certain items/other bugs which crash the server. My guess is that people from other servers did their homework on common ways to cause crashes in Mangos servers and are using the crashes they cause as a deterrent. These issues just require a hotfix for each one, they'll run out eventually. Clever though, easier than ddosing.

Seems to me it's just abuse of certain items/other bugs which crash the server. My guess is that people from other servers did their homework on common ways to cause crashes in Mangos servers and are using the crashes they cause as a deterrent. These issues just require a hotfix for each one, they'll run out eventually. Clever though, easier than ddosing.

I seriously doubt these crashes are the cause of something premeditated. If they were controlled, they would definitely be done during peak population hours and not at obscure times.

I seriously doubt these crashes are the cause of something premeditated. If they were controlled, they would definitely be done during peak population hours and not at obscure times.
And why is that? There's bound to be multiple Devs and GMs on to fix the issue very, very quickly. (Seeing as one GM just fixed our crashy-crash issue, as I got a ticket response and server is fine now) ... Kronos still has a good population on right now... save for the fact that GMs/Devs are scarce. I'd see it more fitting to screw with the server when there's no staff around immediately.
(And from admin experience... this is EXACTLY when hackers like to screw with the players... thankfully I have no life and stay on steam usually)

Last edited:

I just find it odd that they started happening at similar times, when the devs (most of them anyway) should be asleep. Either way, premeditated or not, easy fixes and not a cause for alarm as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with the OP, Molten was something that came to my mind a few days after Nostalrius was released. Personally I'm curious whether they'll introduce pay2win or not.

Personally I'm curious whether they'll introduce pay2win or not.

Part of me wants to say I hope they do, and let those who don't like it come here....but the other part of me likes where we are, at least for now, and doesn't give a rat's ass what they do over there lol.

over here in the shady place called runet, we have this stamp or meme which roughly translates to 'author, do write more'

i have to say that this is the first time i've felt impelled to actually say that to a person

well done

Molten has no place in this discussion at all. They target a totally different audience. They don't even have a blizzlike WotLK server (because it was a failure). I played a little on that server a long time ago and didn't experience any kind of "Molten horror" or "toxicity". I left because the server was meh...

And to be honest IRC is a shitty way of communicating in 2015... It's like using Morse code when you have smartphones available.

Molten has no place in this discussion at all. They target a totally different audience. They don't even have a blizzlike WotLK server (because it was a failure). I played a little on that server a long time ago and didn't experience any kind of "Molten horror" or "toxicity". I left because the server was meh...

And to be honest IRC is a shitty way of communicating in 2015... It's like using Morse code when you have smartphones available.

u can use irc on smartphone :p is kinda oke

Hey! I'm from new york!... doesn't make your statement wrong but... hey!

I agree the work the staff are doing here is something special.

that same toxic behavior is here and it will show once the staff change... hopefully they won't love the work you guys are doing.

we all as a community and the staff as the glue that holds the community together have to work together to keep this place exactly what it is to anyone with eyeballs and tried the server. the best run free classic wow server out...
that doesnt mean they have the best script or anything it means there staff is looking for perfection and the players are doing the best they can to help them. we all have to stay united with that idea.

Everyone has differing opinions of what a toxic community is. I, for one, agree with OP in that the Nos community is horribly toxic and that is why I am here as well. Quality over quanity.

LOL exactly what part about a smartphone makes for a better and more persistent means of communication than irc? the reason people still use it, is because nothing better has come along

Also Kronos didn't have to resort to petty PR stunts like selling the realm as ''progressive'' when all it means is that there's less quests and less items...

Cuz yes, completing the whole Lescovar questchain only to have a Spirit ring, or buying a Frost Reflector Schematic only to use it without receiving the skill, is so much fun and helps me enjoy the ''blizzlike'' experience...

First of all, I am playing on both servers to find my home. I might just end up having two homes because I really like both servers so far. I tend to agree with a lot of what you are saying.

But to the other servers defense, A LOT of the shait that is going on over at reddit and their forums is people making up lies and promoting kronos. There is no denying that, and it's very convenient that you decide to not tell that part. Actually there are very many bad apples on both servers, that JUST HAVE TO shait talk the other servers because REASONS. I actually think that is one of the MAIN reasons their forums is so bad, it has been a constant WAR between fanboys ever since nost released and it is still going on. And it has created a mentality, EITHER YOU ARE WITH US OR AGAINST US. Ridiculous.

I honestly think too many people are afraid kronos will die because of the massive other server population. I hope both lives and I really think both deserve to live with a healthy population. Competition is good, making up lies and blindly promoting one server over the other is not.

I came here from nost as well, to me its fairly obvious that server is a hoax.
The staff is shady and supporting cheating guilds because they donate, to me that means the server is already dead.

Besides that they are more interested in boasting with their (fake) playernumbers than actually fixing things or punishing cheaters. I wouldnt even want to play they if they paid me.

So your argument for choosing kronos is based on false logic and generalization of an entire community based on loud minority.

You will find those jerks here aswell
and in these forms aswell.

"that other server" has 6k players, and you just CANCEL OUT that entire player base because you see in their forum around 7-10 die hard fanboys filled with toxicity.

You're argument for staying is here just lying to yourself.

Last edited:
"that other server" has 6k players, and you just CANCEL OUT that entire player base because you see in their forum around 7-10 die hard fanboys filled with toxicity.

Generalization is one thing, but anyone with some experience in human studies know that general traits and tendancies can be observed on populations and structures, especially if they can be explained by hypothesis and/or facts.

I'd say the fact that Nost has attracted most of the dogmatic purists (the kind that says 10g respec is casual BS per instance) as well a those who only see in Kronos a P2W server without taking time to read about what CAs are, may contribute to a more generally toxic community. That and the fact the insane population contributed to establishing an atmosphere of competition and free-for-all attitude. I've experienced it and seen it, there was a distinct difference between how individualistic people were on Nost compared to when I lvled on Feenix. Of course, that might fade when the population will have cooled down, but nevertheless it marked some people's first experience there.

Besides, the forum is an important part of a community, so even if it only represents a small part of them I'd say it can already be a minus for the choice.

But I still partially agree with you, as I didn't make my choice solely on ''their community is toxic'' arguments.

Top Bottom