• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Warrior Aoe Tank rotation

Wouldn't it be easier to not use Charge but pull with your ranged weapon so you can use Battleshout and can be sure you buffed as many group members as possible to maximize your threat? Once you charged into the group it is likely that you miss some members as the range is only 20 yards. Ranged classes should not be too close to the mobs when you are tanking as they cause more threat at a certain point. Although I don't know how close they have to be for that to happen and how much more threat they cause. Also how much threat does Thunderclap cause? I never use that one for tanking at all.

Situational, I like chain pulling to maintain rage and often with charging just getting a few steps ahead of those pug dps who refuse to wait a few seconds before DPSing can make more of a difference than waiting to battle shout the group for threat.
Also, I'll often concussion blow the last elite in a group of mobs when he's about 1/2 health and then run to the next group. This allows me to get started on the mobs before the DPS ever get there and I've found this makes threat way more manageable than if i waiting and ranged pull > shout.
Obviously other circumstances what you suggested may be more optimal.

I'm not a raid tank too, this is a 5-10 man strategy I use.

Make a macro like this :

/script if not IsCurrentAction(60) then UseAction(60) end;
/cast Cleave
/cast Demoralizing Shout

Just spam it on 3+ mobs and you will never lost aggro. First line is casual autoattack, where 60 is number of slot on action bar.

Step 1: Pull and pop bloodrage
Step 2: Use sunder on every target
Step 3: Only taunt enemies if you have enought rage to sunder

So is this the use for the "Booming voice" talent? Extending Battle Shouts range to 30 yards instead of the short 20? Making sure that every member of your party is buffed and so generating it's maximum threat? I'm interested to see if it alone could hold a pack of 4+ above healing aggro while you're focusing down the skull with Sunders and such. It would save on a bit of rage if you could just Battle Shout instead of switching targets to Sunder.

So is this the use for the "Booming voice" talent? Extending Battle Shouts range to 30 yards instead of the short 20? Making sure that every member of your party is buffed and so generating it's maximum threat? I'm interested to see if it alone could hold a pack of 4+ above healing aggro while you're focusing down the skull with Sunders and such. It would save on a bit of rage if you could just Battle Shout instead of switching targets to Sunder.

If use Bloodrage and buff every party member with Battle Shout right after you pulled, this can very well hold aggro against 2 heals. Right after the pull party members are near, so I dont get troubles with range. It might have its use though when you tend to spam it mid fight when other party members are farer away.
And when using Demo Shout the mobs are rarely spread more than 20 yards around you.

I think many take it to increase the range of Demo Shout as it can unstealth rogues when they get affected by it. So I heard, did not PvP much on my warrior.

Last edited:
Been looking around and seeing so many different opinions in regards to "Is Battle Shout threat split between all mobs in a battle?" I think that's the big question. You've buffed yourself and 4 members for 275 threat. Is this value then split between all the mobs in battle? I'm thinking it is because 275 would make it almost as good as a Sunder.

Further questions:

1. 55 per party member buffed seems to be the consensus. But is this in Battle Stance (0.8 multiplier) or in Defensive stance (1.3)? Is 55 just the base value which then has the multiplier applied? Is it effected by stances at all?

2. Does Battle Shout still generate threat if your party members are not yet on a mobs "Hate list?" Meaning they haven't taken actions to generate any threat at all on ktm. I'm thinking they just need to be "In combat." If not, bow pulling followed by a Battle Shout would just be a waste of rage.

I don't think I've ever noticed; but if you're a healer and standing at the back, are you immediately "In combat" when the tank pulls with his bow? It might matter a lot to Battle Shouts effectiveness.

The shout being a buff SHOULD put the other party members in battle. Though I believe a different bug is that people that are not in combat can buff somebody who is, and still not be in combat.

If I am in combat and buff you, it should automatically flag you and count that buff towards the hate list. If you are out of combat and buff somebody who is, what ever mobs that had hate towards the buffie, you should also have hate gains on those specific mobs.

Does anyone how the threat from consumables works? Each point of rage generated gives 5 threat. So if I drink a Rage Potion for 40 rage it should be 200 threat. Is this 200 threat for every mob in battle or 200 threat split between all mobs?

This should be split, same as healing done. Hence the rage pot would be more rage gained against a single target. How it is done here, I'm too lazy to test with somebody.

Interfere with my prot farming :)

Does anyone how the threat from consumables works? Each point of rage generated gives 5 threat. So if I drink a Rage Potion for 40 rage it should be 200 threat. Is this 200 threat for every mob in battle or 200 threat split between all mobs?
It worked when I tested it with a single mob.
If you want to see how it works on multiple mobs then I suggest the following.

2 warriors in group:
A: pulls 2-3 mobs
B: uses Battleshout
-> mobs should now switch to B
A: pops rage potion
-> mobs should now go back to A

Increase the number of mobs pulled to check how much threat the potion gives.

Alternatively you can pull multiple mobs, pop the rage potion and then see how much damage is necessary to take the mobs off of you.

Is it just me or is demo shout not working properly at all?

Even at 7+ mobs it generates virtually no aggro. It's not supposed to split aggro, is it?

Is it just me or is demo shout not working properly at all?

Even at 7+ mobs it generates virtually no aggro. It's not supposed to split aggro, is it?

I is not supposed to be, but it currently works that way as far as I know. That makes Demo Shout useless. I could not find a bug report for it although I am sure it is reported. I guess that this behaviour is part of a bigger issue.

thats correct demo shout behaviour

As far as I know aggro of Demo Should should not get split. Thats why Demo Shout should generate more threat than Battle Shout when you are tanking more mobs than you have party members. Assuming Demo and Battle Shout do the same amount of threat with every buff/debuff applied, which is not the case. I don't know the exact values though. At least that is what I remember reading in a Vanilla tanking guide.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you a shadow priest on k2?

Not me :smile:

That's the same I've read but all the guides explicitly mentioning shout threat generation I can find right now give conflicting reports. Some say it is split others say it isn't.

That's the same I've read but all the guides explicitly mentioning shout threat generation I can find right now give conflicting reports. Some say it is split others say it isn't.

That one is a really popular guide: True Guide to Vanilla Tanking

Demo/Battle Shout: 43/55 (43 applied to each mob for demo, 55 multiplied by each party member buffed for battle)

So applying Demo Shout on more than 6 mobs should generate more threat than applying Battle Shout on all 5 party members.
This guide has been referred to in many forums so I hope it is correct.

Last edited:
I played vanilla wow and I remember our tanks kiting the dragons only by using demo shout spam. Our guild tried doing this (on k1) but discovered that demo shout did fuck all threat. So from my own experience it is def. bugged.

So can we conclude that currently its better to spam battleshout for threat?

Threat all together is screwed up here. I can't hold threat off somebody doing 500dps per second in tank gear on a boss. Not being able to heroic strike as a tank is retarded, big time.

And getting non tanks sending the typical tell "get an alcorz and you won't have this issue"........ Sure, can't heroic strike 1 time, lets pop 2.5kg on something that requires a HS spam.....

As we are getting more and more dps loot in raids, it is getting worse and worse. Fury warriors having to afk 20% of fights, people afraid to push any legit dps. How is tanking Naxx supposed to be possible when having to down bosses with 700-1k dps pushing and having to max out def/avoidance. (Before 6/9T3).

Crystal Force is a must-have for AoE tanking small packs. It can crit, it's off GCD (so it doesn't reset your swing timer) and it is instant cast. 1 min cooldown and easy to farm or buy mats on the AH. Stacks up to 20.

Trying to overcome the hurdle. Using DMC: Maelstrom over Force of Will, paired with Deathbringer w/ Crusader (was using Quel w/ 15agil), Hit belt over T1 belt, Dark Souls Shoulders over T1 shoulders.

Items I'm going for that I haven't seen drop yet, T1 Gloves, Domo-Chest Mail Bracers, ZG hit ring. Currently working on mats for Lionheart helm and have ZG enchant on standby for it.

Respecced from 17/3/31 Impale spec using 3/3 imp sunder 2/5 imp 1H :

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LVhL0hbZcZEizoe0zMo

To:

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LV0hZVZEizoeMdVo

This will greatly increase my white hit damage which seems to be the biggest source of tank rage, as opposed to damage taken and give me 2 more base crit percent. While also getting back imp taunt and imp SW for moments such as Vale, Chromag sub 20 percent, or Nef Priest call if they messed up and got a lot of debuffs on me.

Top Bottom