• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Paladin Retribution Paladin

In PvP it is definitely a strong class. There are some classes that are harder to beat but I guess that is the case with every other class too.

Every paladin is a nice addition to a group. Just don't gimp yourself to only one role and don't forget you can support with heals, blessings, stuns, cleanse and off-tanking even if you are going as damage dealer. The damage you make will be a bit smaller than that of a pure DPS class, but you are always able to support your group if things go wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Is retribution paladin worth in pve/pvp?

No.

Thats just not true. You just need to make use of all your skills. In group PvP don't forget that paladins have awesome supportive skills available. Use them to the benefit of your team. And if the situation calls for it, go and take out annoying horde players. Just don't play it as a pure DPS class, because paladins aren't.

And in 1 vs 1 paladins are pretty good too if you know how to do it (which applies to every class).

Why would we discuss a 10 years old debate already settled. Paladin is great for pvp, retardin is crap.

Sure you can have some lucky crit and lucky proc, it s fun but not "worth".

Why would we discuss a 10 years old debate already settled. Paladin is great for pvp, retardin is crap.

Sure you can have some lucky crit and lucky proc, it s fun but not "worth".

Because that statement is not true. A retribution paladin has all the core supportive skills every other spec has too. Holy just brings just Spiritual Focus (which most paladins have anyway) and Divine Favour to the table. DF gives you a free critical heal every two minutes. If you are going 21/0/30 you can even have that as a retribution paladin. It just depends on how you are balancing your gear.

Last edited:
Yea I noticed it has to be another patch than 1.12 because he had Seal of Command, Consecration and Holy Shield.

Zalgradis was not a ret paladin. He was using a hybrid spec with vengeance and holy shield. The talents were different back then.

I played on his server and he went retri when AQ40 came out :)

OnT: I have seen several guilds (including mine) giving a steady raidspot to retripaladins. They may not top the meters but better you pick a class/spec you enjoy than playing something just because its good.

Last edited:
All I want is to heal, but my guild keeps telling me I have to deal damage. I hope that one day they change their mind.

Is retribution paladin worth in pve?

Yes. Expect having half DPS of your best dps character tho.
Also don't trust any guides or videos about ret DPS from other servers, since both on F and N they have bugged coefficients and spamming consecration rank 1 is a viable DPS strategy. On Kronos, it is not.

This is a pretty accurate video about how your DPS would look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEs9coe5XRg

The main reason for paladins in the raid are the buffs and dispels. Wisdom helps to clear faster and is a tremendous help in prolonged fights, Kings does the same as well as improving the effectiveness of your whole raid, Might improves the DPS of all your melee classes and when your teammates hit the aggro cap, Salvation improves DPS of the whole raid aswell.
After that, it comes down to your guild composition. If your guild has enough healers for the raid, you want to bring more DPS and vice versa.

Paladin class is so versatile that you can simply pop into your healing gear while DPS specced and still heal quite well if the need arises. That way you can heal where it's needed or melee-unfriendly fight and deal damage on the rest.
It's because paladin talents that are really required for healing are at the top half of your talent tree, while Priest, Druid or Shaman talents that improve healing are at the bottom or spread throughout the whole tree. The only thing your talents really give you is:
- pushback immunity
- increased crit chance for heals
- 12% increased healing amount, which translates to avg. 43 raw healing per Flash of Light or 158 raw healing per Holy Light (201 /w AQ book)
- mana return through illumination (free heals)

The increased crit chance is marginal, the healing talent can be included into your DPS spec (see link above) and mana return can be mitigated by consumables.
Compared to Esotarius' talents in the video, the spec I posted sacrifices points from Repentance + Improved Seal of the Crusader, because Repe is a PvP talent and ISotC gives only 21 bonus holy damage on your target, which adds mere +5 damage to your Seal of Command procs and +11 damage to your Judgements (numbers include Vengeance proc active). So, speccing like this you can deal damage and if you fill one of your bags with healing gear, simply change equipment to heal-on-demand.

Is retribution paladin worth in pvp?

Yes. Paladins have great support capabilities even when ret specced. In my opinion, it makes a much better choice to crit something for 1k with your twohander rather than running around with a 1-hand healing weapon when you're unable to heal due to interrupts and silences coming your way, and believe me, Kronos hordies make sure you get CCed a lot. When properly equipped, paladins can deal great burst damage while still being able to heal. Sadly, the burst is RNG-based, therefore unreliable. If you can keep that in mind, Paladins are pretty good in 1v1 and they excel at supporting in teamfights.

The Zalgradis video shows nicely how you should abuse paladin's survivability and how properly timing your healing is important, but his build was an old protection one (Zalgradis videos are patch 1.8.), therefore for Retribution can I recommend watching either Timangi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peIxTVTdHNs (Grand Marshal gear) or Chipman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ypkdrgiZA (blue gear) or Orrim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-xfuk7VxyQ (both epics and blues, first 7 minutes are from patch 1.8 and the rest is post 1.9 patch video)

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you spec properly , if you gear up properly this is how your dps suppose to be (even without consecration).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i1F8rL7rSk
Uploaded on Nov 19, 2006

Using proper vanilla retail spec and itemization recommend by familiar vanilla retribution paladins i got this results even on bugged server where 70% of our abilities was not working properly

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...8_10152798333065418_6130555566748919804_o.jpg

Yea but as far as I know Consecration benefits from AP on Nost. I saw a video of a blue geared paladin with 100 Consecration ticks. It's ridiculous. I guess this contributes much to the DPS. Did they fix that yet?

Yea but as far as I know Consecration benefits from AP on Nost. I saw a video of a blue geared paladin with 100 Consecration ticks. It's ridiculous. I guess this contributes much to the DPS. Did they fix that yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i1F8rL7rSk
Uploaded on Nov 19, 2006

is that even Nost?. ^ does he use consecration at all ?

also i am not even retri on Nost. i was testing vanilla ret guides from blizzard forums back in 2006 on fen... and it work as intended even that Socom and jocom didnt work with sanct aura and didnt scale with sp in fen neither ap scaled with cons.

http://realmplayers.com/CharacterList.aspx?search=killerduki

see there are 2x

Check which one is ret

http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/F...px?FightName=Nefarian&realm=All&ClassLimit=Pa

(included all servers) for high end boss and long duration of fight (430 sec).

Other than that , don't forget Nost Aq20/40 is not released yet .

Last edited:
Quick guide for Retribution paladin
Consecration is
- like most important spell for sustain dps, strong AoE
- reason why you farm all that mana gain dark rune shit
- reason why you get soulforge 4 set hybrid spell power gear so you can spam Rank 1 in long fights

Best weapons are
- Obsidian Edged Blade for PvE because of awesome str bonus and 310 skill cap which gives you 0% damage reduction on glancing hits
- Drake Talon Cleaver for PvP because of Chance on Hit which can proc itself + HoJ, SoC and vice versa burst

This is your talent build.

Some important rules
- don't use Judgement right before attack, watch swing timer or sth
- don't use Judgement if you have less than 260 mana
- cast all spells together so there is 5 sec window where you get some mana back (wait for attack -> judgement -> consecration -> SoC)
- force paladin in your raid to cast Judgement of Wisdom on the boss, it will give you so much mana

Last edited:
^ the abovementioned guide applies only to realms with bugged coefficient on consecration. You certainly don't want to spam Rank 1 Consecration on Kronos. The AoE is actually super weak.

Drake Talon Cleaver cannot proc anything. For PvP, you certainly want Herald of Woe due to higher stats and extra intellect. Even better ones include Sulfuras > R14 PvP weapon > Bonereaver's.

^ the abovementioned guide applies only to realms with bugged coefficient on consecration. You certainly don't want to spam Rank 1 Consecration on Kronos. The AoE is actually super weak.

What is the coefficient on Kronos? I found this only.

• Consecration deals 32% of bonus spell damage, and 32% of Attack Power, distributed evenly among 8 seconds.

Last edited:
There is no attack power coefficient. So even assuming you have the mana to keep up Consecration spam throughout the whole fight (so, a perfect scenario), it will still only add around 80-90 dps (this number depends on your spell damage).

32% of the spell damage over 8 seconds. So 4% spell damage added to every tick (rounded down).

Top Bottom