• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

What makes you want to play Vanilla World of Warcraft again?

i think wotlk was the most successful because of the success of tbc and vanilla and the foundation that it set for wotlk... and i also think warcraft 3 the frozen throne had a lot to do with wotlk success .. the story etc :)

Still, i compare vanilla vs WoD as i compare Baldurs gate and dragon age origins. Both good games with the same basics but totaly different playability.

Then why WotLK was the most successful part of the game? :)

I don't think vanilla is better, it's just.. different.

You can not judge success from sales numbers ... come on now. I will agree newer versions have some ups but the downs out weigh them. Agree to disagree, my friend. #Staynontoxic.

Ah, where was I again ? Actually guys, never mind my story we'll mold new stories once this is off and kicking !! :)

Until then if any of you are interested in WoW stories/fun reads, I've recently feasted on the most brilliant WoW fantasies I've ever laid my eyes upon apart from the main WC3 plot:

The following stories(which are fan-fics) I'll link might not meet everybody's tastes, although I assure you they're worth a check:

1. For those attracted to Thrillers I suggest this piece of art
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4235229/1/Sirens-of-Azeroth

It entails the story of a classless character, a night elf Leyla who's adventuring into some of the finer quest chain(plots) in-game. (7/10) [Classic <-> TBC]

2.For those with a knack for Action & Plot Development I suggest:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5707920/1/Cold-Comfort-Castle

A fine plot twister/bender and very involving tale of a seasoned human frost mage seeking nothing but acceptance, yet to be struck by a draenei warrior ostracized by her people for choosing the path of conquest and power. <- Worth it !! (9.5/10) [Classic --> TBC --> WOTLK]

Then why WotLK was the most successful part of the game? :)

I don't think vanilla is better, it's just.. different.

Mall Cop was the #1 movie in america for a while too, that doesn't mean it was awesome.

In america they advertise like crazy when they know they have a crappy comedy movie to sell, they are obviously just to trying to cram it down people's throats but for some reason it tends to work...Wrath had a ridiculously large amount of ads...just sayin.

Wrath did so well for a lot of reasons so I'll just list some of the main ones.

The ads that came out around the BC and Wrath releases all had the advantage of being able to boast about the huge population that Vanilla had already earned. Vanilla opened with very few advertisements compared to what BC and Wrath had because they weren't expecting very many people to play it. So when Vanilla opened it had WAY more people trying to play it then the servers could handle. So a lot of people who would have loved to play it quit after seeing what a laggy mess the game was. Plus Blizzard couldn't even keep the servers up nor could they keep the queue times to log in at anything like a reasonable level. But despite all of this Vanilla still managed to get to 6 or 7 million subs basically solely on the game's own merits. It was a game that people who were passionate about great games sought out, not a game that was crammed down people's throats.

Anyway I hope I've given you a bit of insight into why Wrath had more people.

Also Vanilla is way better than wrath =D

Last edited:
Without a doubt; WSG

Infact I'l give this a shot, hoping that it can at least be half as fun as it was back in the day.

There was a vanilla feel that was so unique to wow. Whether it be the easter egg quests/references that were aplenty in vanilla, the rewarding feeling of winning that epic (and i mean really epic, not like the purples of modern wow), or the grind to 60, it was awesome.

There was a vanilla feel that was so unique to wow. Whether it be the easter egg quests/references that were aplenty in vanilla, the rewarding feeling of winning that epic (and i mean really epic, not like the purples of modern wow), or the grind to 60, it was awesome.

Yeh, but I think the biggest contributor to make it feel like the way it did; was the community; you knew the players after awhile, like you'd see them in Ironforge, or outside dueling or perhaps in a BG. Some you talked to, others you did not. Once in awhile, you'd see them, and you'd perhaps see they had a new weapon or shoulders, or perhaps a ring. You also knew who was good and who was not; you had your own prefered players, you'd take with you into a bg aswell.

It was a new game, and people mostly had some sort of goal; like get rank 14, or atleast try to see how far they'd get; or down every boss in game; or server first, or whatever, it helped motivate ppl, and somehow made it feel like everybody wanted something out of the game; because it was exciting, as we did not know 100% where it was going.

That perhaps, might be impossible to ever get back, even if technically this server will be 100% blizzlike; the attitude, view and the way people will see the game now, will be different than before; the spirit of the game will not be quite the same; and you will never ever get all those people you used to like playing with to all come online like back in the day; but perhaps the old wow was that good, that even if this will only feel like 50% of that, it might still be worth playing; who knows :)

Last edited:
I dont know if it is impossible to get back. I started on retail back in BC. I played vanilla on a 1x private server. That feel of the community was there on the private server, something that i did not see on retail. Sure it wasn't retail, but it is a feeling i am craving again ^.^ Super excited to see this server come out, and hopefully supersede the previous server!

Yeh, but I think the biggest contributor to make it feel like the way it did; was the community; you knew the players after awhile, like you'd see them in Ironforge, or outside dueling or perhaps in a BG. Some you talked to, others you did not. Once in awhile, you'd see them, and you'd perhaps see they had a new weapon or shoulders, or perhaps a ring. You also knew who was good and who was not; you had your own prefered players, you'd take with you into a bg aswell.

It was a new game, and people mostly had some sort of goal; like get rank 14, or atleast try to see how far they'd get; or down every boss in game; or server first, or whatever, it helped motivate ppl, and somehow made it feel like everybody wanted something out of the game; because it was exciting, as we did not know 100% where it was going.

That perhaps, might be impossible to ever get back, even if technically this server will be 100% blizzlike; the attitude, view and the way people will see the game now, will be different than before; the spirit of the game will not be quite the same; and you will never ever get all those people you used to like playing with to all come online like back in the day; but perhaps the old wow was that good, that even if this will only feel like 50% of that, it might still be worth playing; who knows :)

That was deep man... Took me right back

I am just recently new here, in fact, I only just signed up today. But I thought it'd be interesting to reply to this topic, as I've enjoyed reading a lot of other peoples replies.

The question I have to ask myself is "Why do I want to play Vanilla World of Warcraft?" I've always had an interest in Warcraft in general, I played so much of Warcraft III and The Frozen Throne, that was when I was introduced into this great phenomenon. I remember when World of Warcraft first came out and I'd always bug my parents to buy me the game, and that they needed to buy it for me. I actually did get to play it back then, but only once. Back where I was living at the time, there was this place called "Planet X" which was like a place with all the latest computers and the best games people could play. My brother and I actually went there quite often. That's when I came across a guy there who at the time I saw, was playing an Undead Warrior. I asked him "What is this game?" he looked at me and said "This is World of Warcraft, haven't you played it before?" After that I went onto a computer and looked for World of Warcraft, only realizing that you needed to have a subscription, which actually made me quite disappointed. I remember that Blizzard made these 14 day trial discs for World of Warcraft for $2 here in Australia. That's how I made my account, although for some reason the game wouldn't work on my computer at the time, so I went off to Planet X. I remember the first character I had ever made was a Male Night Elf Warrior, Night Elf because of Warcraft III, and I just loved everything about Night Elves and their lore, which I still do to this day. That was the first time, and only time I'd play World of Warcraft for many years.

After months and months of bugging my parents for getting the game, I eventually lost interest in wanting to play, because I just eventually gave up. When my family and I moved to another state that's when I actually started to want to play again, in fact it was my brother who began playing. He had a friend back where we used to live who played, and his friend suggested that they play together as a way to somehow "stay in-touch" this was during the last year of Wrath of the Lich King. We only had one computer at the time, so my brother and I had to share. The only times I could get on was during 6:00 in the morning. The first character I made on that was a Blood Elf, Paladin. But I never really was too serious with playing, because playing at 6:00 in the morning just didn't work. So I lost interest once again.

When I really started to play was in the last year of Cataclysm in 2011. I once again made a Blood Elf, Paladin. I've been playing on and off since then. I even have Warlords of Draenor, which is a decent expansion, and I do enjoy Draenor. I actually did join a private server earlier this year called "Emerald Dream" I think it was a Feenix server. That was a Vanilla server, and I had a very enjoyable time, although it was somewhat buggy, from my experience. So I haven't been able to enjoy the full potential of what Vanilla World of Warcraft has to offer.

I've rambled on long enough, but to put it simply, I want to play Vanilla because of what so many people have said about it. You as a player having an actual meaning. Interacting with people, who aren't just there because they feel as though World of Warcraft has now become something they "have" to do instead of something they "want" to do. From what I played of Feenix, I know Vanilla is hugely different from what World of Warcraft has become, but I hope that Kronos can at least make the best Vanilla server. I am really looking forward to what I missed as a child when I bugged my parents, and I hope that I can make a lot of friends too, and with my retail World of Warcraft subscription ending soon, I figured, why not try Vanilla, and here I am!

Thank you for listening to my story, I feel as though stories like this aren't a common thing today in World of Warcraft. I hope Kronos and the players can share many different stories we shall all share in.

:smile:

Last edited:
heh, nice story hope to see you online soon,

...one question...you could have bought the game with your own saved up money, No? :rolleyes2:

I was about 10 - 11 years old, I was way too young for a job and my parents never gave me pocket money or anything like that. So the only source of getting something was to nag them both consistently.

Of course 10 years later, I am now 20 years old, and I can save up money! :smile:

gameplay like this, among other reasons :D

[video=youtube;gvRfl9tebvc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvRfl9tebvc[/video]

Im getting bored of everything else at this point. I have cleared WotLK and Cata is boring and i mainly log in only for raids and then nothing. I want to try something "new" and massively [CR]time[/CR] life consuming that will hopefuly get rid of sunlight for me.

Im getting bored of everything else at this point. I have cleared WotLK and Cata is boring and i mainly log in only for raids and then nothing. I want to try something "new" and massively [CR]time[/CR] life consuming that will hopefuly get rid of sunlight for me.

Best way to say bye bye to exercise, sex and sunlight is vanilla wow - as they say!

Because of i always played vanilla, it's the only version i think i know what i'm doing - so i want to stay in my "WoW-comfort-zone" :)

I think a lot of people who go back to older mmo's realize or don't but we want that open world adventure that gets lost in games after expansions and expansions come out that start giving that linear feeling, for example, WoD, i played through it and it leads you through a linear story, a linear world that everyone experiences the same thing, and i dont think thats what people love about mmo's. Vanilla WoW, runescape and everquest(1999) give that feeling of grandness and wonder, it sets you out in the world and you explore it to find new things, people, dungeons and quests. theres a epicness the fills within you while exploring and experiencing a world where you make the story.

Leveling was harder. I played Mists recently and got bored pretty quickly because even as Protection Paladin mobs usually go down after 3 hits or so. And the 5 man instances are way too easy now. I don't say that they were very hard back then, if you knew the encounters and your way around the instance, but they required everyones attention. Playing a supportive class (Paladin) I actually had stuff to do, even more so with inexperienced groups. That was a lot of fun. And it was more social. I met most of the people I regularly played with by LFG in Ironforge or Stormwind.

Last edited:
Mostly what I find in Vanilla is meaningfulness. Perhaps a strange word, but the feeling of accomplishment and constant progress, and sometimes it's hard for me to feel that when playing on retail right now, a lack of achievement.

I can recall, I was leveling a lowbie warrior in westfall, like level 11. And there are 3 or 4 defias guys guarding a chest. If you know anything about vanilla warrior leveling, you eat after every single mob, and you will probably die if you pull 2 mobs. I had at these defias for awhile, dying a couple times trying to get them all down after repeated attempts to finally get my prize: the chest. What was in the chest? An apple. But it was a goal I made for myself and I achieved it. I don't know how or why, but I got more satisfaction from that than I did in the previous months of whatever I did in retail.

I also love 40 man raiding, I've always had leadership positions in guilds and I enjoyed my time in 40 mans back in the day, mostly as a mage class leader and part time/assistant raid leader. Good times.

Also, itemization. How boring and dull is gear in retail right now? There's item level and all that, and it's just linear upgrades, no variety at all. No selection. Very generic. I quite liked Vanilla's itemization, there's variety, no two items are really the same, and people can name items and you know what they're talking about. Azuresong Mageblade, Perdition's Blade, Ashkandi. Good luck with that today.

Also, the feeling of a server being a community is a great part of WoW that's missing right now in the current game. The only way to even get a somewhat similar feeling is to be in a monstrous 1000 character guild with 60-70 people online at any given time. But it's still not the same thing.

Last edited:
I was bored so I thought I could play a little bit on another vanilla server. I was not rested and died, because I accidentially pulled a few mobs. That is one reason I want to play vanilla again. There is always a sense of danger, so better keep your eyes peeled :)

Top Bottom