• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

What makes you want to play Vanilla World of Warcraft again?

My guild on Molten Core video, was our second rag kill. Did the run in < 3 hours total. Was huge, as this freed up our second primary raid night for BWL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7PecLUT2Fs

I am Shokcer in this video, human mage that always has the frost shield up. Was top dps, had to stand closer to keep that dps up.

How would this vid not get you pumped?

Last edited:
I loved TBC, hated Wotlk. So I expect to like Vanilla even more :D I like when equip from professions actually matters and it's not just "lvling->80->3xnormal->3xheroic->raid". Also I love ZG :wub:

End of vanilla was amazing (beginning was not) and retail hasn't been fun since Affliction was ruined in MoP (not that Cata was fun.. but Aff and T11 were great). Also the vanilla questing experience is unmatched.

It really is a sense of achievement, when you struggle as 40 in green/blue items, against Lucifron/Magmadar etc. And to world pvp with those nifty loots makes it so much better. Vanilla did it best, without resilience.

Glad that Kronos release is just around the corner.

Am I really the only one who has never played vanilla?

if I am at least.. Tell me that this is really one of the best "expansion"

It comes down to more of player preference here...many, if not nearly all, will say that TBC was by far the best expansion to come out. Classic WoW was not an expansion per se, but I think it was a mixture of things that made it great. Some of them would be the fact that Vanilla was largely a social experience (you literally could not do anything alone like you can now) and you needed a tight-knit guild to play with, which also made it more fun because you often made really strong friendships with the people you played and struggled with alongside.
Gear was also much more meaningful...if you saw someone running around with a Drake Talon Cleaver even when AQ was out, it was still a huge deal and made them seem really cool, which also led to the social experience because then maybe you would want to talk to them about it.

All in all, I think anyone that remembers Vanilla will agree that the gameplay was definitely lacking in certain areas (even though it was an old game and the kind of mechanics they have now seemed impossible), it more than made up for it with how it brought people together rather than allowing them to be more solo-oriented. It literally defined the MMO genre in the beginning, making it a true multiplayer experience rather than you playing next to a few people you'll never see again.

It comes down to more of player preference here...many, if not nearly all, will say that TBC was by far the best expansion to come out. Classic WoW was not an expansion per se, but I think it was a mixture of things that made it great. Some of them would be the fact that Vanilla was largely a social experience (you literally could not do anything alone like you can now) and you needed a tight-knit guild to play with, which also made it more fun because you often made really strong friendships with the people you played and struggled with alongside.
Gear was also much more meaningful...if you saw someone running around with a Drake Talon Cleaver even when AQ was out, it was still a huge deal and made them seem really cool, which also led to the social experience because then maybe you would want to talk to them about it.

All in all, I think anyone that remembers Vanilla will agree that the gameplay was definitely lacking in certain areas (even though it was an old game and the kind of mechanics they have now seemed impossible), it more than made up for it with how it brought people together rather than allowing them to be more solo-oriented. It literally defined the MMO genre in the beginning, making it a true multiplayer experience rather than you playing next to a few people you'll never see again.

I agree and have yet to find another game making such an experience possible.
The biggest thing from tbc for me, is the advanced skill/talent setup, since i really like to tinker with items/abilities/talents. But sadly, most of tbcs items were pretty unoriginal compared to the vast arsenal of vanilla.

Furthermore, the social aspect makes it even more interesting to try tough enemies alone with builds that can only be considered as wonky. This also counts for tbc, where i had a specific build that makes my warlock and his pet very tanky, so much that i was able to solo 3 elites around the same level. 1 perma-fear ; 1 on me, sustained with draining life ; 1 on the pet, which eventually needed to be healed with health funnel. This also worked well in dungeons up to raids, since many times i could prevent wiping, or at least dying on my own.

/Incredibly pumped for kronos

Am I really the only one who has never played vanilla?

if I am at least.. Tell me that this is really one of the best "expansion"

To me it is by far the best version of WoW. I wouldn't be here if I didn't feel that way. :tongue:

But really, Vanilla feels nothing like current retail WoW. There are challenges, frustrations, and incredibly gratifying moments to be had in Vanilla that have been lost in the new streamlined WoW.

It is always amazing to read how supposedly poor game designs, like vanilla wow beeing frustrating, are named as one of the reasons why vanilla is the best.

Is it that true feeling of relief after you finished a long and cruel grind? Can't think of
any other reason.

It is always amazing to read how supposedly poor game designs, like vanilla wow beeing frustrating, are named as one of the reasons why vanilla is the best.

Is it that true feeling of relief after you finished a long and cruel grind? Can't think of
any other reason.

The grind isn't frustrating...its the difficulty. Thats what I love about vanilla WoW. Cyndan made some fantastic points, but would like to add the fact that Vanilla WoW is difficult to play. Especially in the first 10-15 levels on some classes. You can end up dead, constantly, if you aren't aware if your surroundings. The game makes you be more creative and teaches you the extent of your class by giving you that difficult start. Instead of just sitting and mashing buttons one after the other while rewatching F.R.I.E.N.D.S

One thing I will not miss is the exclamation marks on the minimap to show where the quests are located. I am so glad that they implemented that later. It makes you explore every watch tower, every top of the tree or deep cave if you want to get quests done. It rewards you for taking your time and exploring rather then rushing through content.

Last edited:
My few pieces into the pot...

I never really experienced Vanilla on retail. A friend of mine helped me to get started on really old German private and I was mesmerized by the possibilities. Playing game with others inside the universe you know and love (played WCII and III), getting to communicate to people. Man...

To speed things up a bit - ironically I want to come back to Vanilla because it's something new. I have absolutely nothing against current WoW state (Cataclysm here / WoD on retail), the game is a living thing and it evolves and adapts. But It just doesn't fit me. Story and surroundings being pushed back while you are getting thrown epics at in this nonsense competition of who can top the meters and get the achievements. And as pathetic as it may sound coming out of a mouth of 26 year old - I'm just too old for this. Wanna come back to the old days, where leveling to 60 isn't a race but an adventure, where I'm find with information that south from here is stuff I need to kill instead of 50 Addons that give you sparkly arrows pointing in the right direction.

Now as a matter of fact, the experience will never be the same. But slap me face and call me Nancy if if I'm not going to make the best of it.

Se ya'll inside!

Hey

First: I found out about this project just yesterday. Great! Seems really good!

I have tried many other Servers, but I didn´t like these 2x, 3x, 4x Rates. I found no other Server where it were just Blizzlike Rates.

However, I never played Vanilla WoW (I started shortly before Cataclysm was released) but I heard many people talking about Classic times. Well, good and bad things (or just different opinions about one thing).
But what I heard most, was that it was way more difficult back in the days, like you had to run to every dungeon you want to enter, it took several weeks to 60 and everything was more complicated (like no questhelping system, no dungeonfinder, quests to enter Raids, etc etc).

I played until now on an offical server and with Warlords of Dreanor I stopped playing. I loved to twink, but it became easyier and easyier and then with the downscaling of the stats.... well a level 40 item is as good as a level 70 item, you can easylie fight targets which are 10 levels higher and so on.

So I´m heading to this realm, looking forward to some things:

LEVELING
I hope the leveling is much more difficult than on Offical realms. I want to take some time to 60, I want to get in trouble when fighting two or more targets and I want to quest zones to the end, without getting to high after half of the zone.

DUNGEONS / RAIDS
I want to find a group myself, ride or run to the dungeon instead of using that stupid lfg and get ported to the raid.
I want to prepare myself for Raids, like farming flasks, or fire-resistance gear, or simply doing the quests to enter a dungeon (Not like nowadays "preparing" rushing heroic inis, then lfr and then normal mode, then heroic mode and so on).
Also I never hat the joy to try out the classic content (just running the old Raids solo).

ABILLITIES
I want to have the old skilltree. Nowadays I have 7 skillpoints... 7! I know, normally everybody skilled the same. But at least I CAN try some other ways.
Also they took many abilities with WoD which I liked very much.

ClASSES
My main was a Druid. And it will be a Druid here too. I think that in Classic you had way more ways to enjoy the potential of a Druid, like switching forms depending on the situation.
Also I think hybrid classes where actually hybrid classes (Nowadays everyone can heal himself for example).
And the classquests. When I started at least some of them were available, and I liked them very much.

Well, I´m very sorry for a bad english and see you all ingame! :)

LG, Buddhaseyes

I can't think of anything new to add besides everything that was stated before but I can name three reasons:
- the challenge,
- the relationship with other fellow players teaming up to achieve a mutual goal
- and feeling of accomplishment obtained after difficult tasks.
I won't talk about how things are done today because everyone knows them: no effort, no skill, no social bonding etc.

Its really good to see newly minted people come and try out Vanilla.

Just a word to the wise...do your best to try and not be put off...

I have had friends who started on retail in WotLK/Cata...tried to play vanilla and couldn't handle it because so much was "missing" in terms of features. Don't get me wrong, some of those features are a godsend (im looking at you auto-loot without the shift key)...but in my opinion less features are better. Its good to hear some of you are taking the plunge into the barebones and looking forward to not being hand-held

LEVELING
I hope the leveling is much more difficult than on Offical realms. I want to take some time to 60, I want to get in trouble when fighting two or more targets and I want to quest zones to the end, without getting to high after half of the zone.

You won't be disappointed. Sounds like Vanilla is perfect for you. It's so drastically different than current WoW. In Vanilla, you can't faceroll through entire camps of mobs. Pull an extra 1-2, you're gonna be in trouble. The world feels dangerous. And you don't have to worry about outleveling content. You can bounce around to different zones and really enjoy the journey to 60.

- - - Updated - - -

Its really good to see newly minted people come and try out Vanilla.

Just a word to the wise...do your best to try and not be put off...

I have had friends who started on retail in WotLK/Cata...tried to play vanilla and couldn't handle it because so much was "missing" in terms of features. Don't get me wrong, some of those features are a godsend (im looking at you auto-loot without the shift key)...but in my opinion less features are better. Its good to hear some of you are taking the plunge into the barebones and looking forward to not being hand-held

Yeah, things like having to shift for auto-loot is really annoying when you first jump back in Vanilla. Then after a few hours you completely forget about it and pressing shift to loot becomes an automatic habit and a non issue.

Yeah, things like having to shift for auto-loot is really annoying when you first jump back in Vanilla. Then after a few hours you completely forget about it and pressing shift to loot becomes an automatic habit and a non issue.

Haha, I still shift click for loot on retail... I know i don't have too, but can't change that habit lol.

Why I want Vanilla back? There was a sense of community in Vanilla; and TBC to be fair. 50% of my WoW experience and why I want Vanilla back was the players. The funny talks in teamspeak at 2 o'clock in the morning after wipe no. 7, god that was fun. I once even had a neighbour complaining, because I was laughing so hard, I'll never forget that. You logged in and several people /w you, you were looking for a tank or healer for ages, but you met cool people that way and you levelled together after you met. You talked about offline life, your problems, bad employers, divorces, new love, school things, your children, genuinly beautiful things, like the birth of your first child, a special birthday surprise and other things.

But there was also there was levelling, trying to hit just one more, grinding for gear, the outstandingly designed classes and for me the dungeons and raids. I quit before Cata hit and I think it was the perfect time to quit, but I want to run Razorfen Kraul again with my beloved warlock. I want that back and that is what brought me here.
Yes, I admit I'm a bit nostalgic, but most of us here are I think.

@buddhaseyes

" LEVELINGI hope the leveling is much more difficult than on Offical realms. I want to take some time to 60, I want to get in trouble when fighting two or more targets and I want to quest zones to the end, without getting to high after half of the zone."

It is preferred to get high before leveling. Helps with the emergence.

Seriously though, it gets to a point where you will have to bounce back and forth between zones to find quest your level and come back to a zone later after you got a few lvls higher to finish tough quest.

Seriously though, it gets to a point where you will have to bounce back and forth between zones to find quest your level and come back to a zone later after you got a few lvls higher to finish tough quest.

I'm probably in the minority here...but I like that. In cata you are pretty much hand-held through each zone for a certain number of levels...then thats it you have checked that zone off the list...no need to revisit it again unless you need to farm for professions or something.

I like the fact that I am level 30 in 1k needles finished all the quests I can...all the quests I have left require me defeating level 34 mobs in simmering flats...so I move on and adventure somewhere else and come back to them. Yes it is annoying that the quest cap in your log is 20...but I do enjoying bouncing around zones for various reasons. Its why I really enjoy the shaman totem quests

I do enjoying bouncing around zones for various reasons. Its why I really enjoy the shaman totem quests

Same here. I loathed Cataclysm for many reasons, the simplified, streamlined lvling is one of the worst things to come out of that expansion.

Last edited:
@Cpstabbler

"Seriously though, it gets to a point where you will have to bounce back and forth between zones to find quest your level and come back to a zone later after you got a few lvls higher to finish tough quest."

I have absolutely no problem with that :D. It gives the game some kind of... RPG-parts (Sorry, hope you understand what I mean -- bad english --), like "oh, there is a really mighty enemy. I should get better Weapons before I fight him" or "No one needs help here, hm? Well, then I will continue my epic journey, in order to find some people who need help!"

No seriously, I think I will like this a lot (maybe after the third character it will get annoying, but first I play one to 60, and maybe then I will think about annoying things ;))

Greetings, Buddhaseyes

Top Bottom