• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Will you destroy your Hearthstone?

WarCrack4Life

Was watching some interesting WoW videos by Corpsealot on youtube and one thing he was talking about was convenience in the current retail game ruining the immersion(LFG/LFR/flying mounts).

http://youtu.be/4ODux8nXkhk Last caller starts at 48:50 talks about it, great points made by the host.

So the point is that even though Vanilla has much less convenient travel methods available one way to make travel much less convenient would be to also destroy your hearthstone.

I'm going all in with immersion and gonna play the game without hearthing. Just me, my 16 slot bag and my wits to start out.

Wish me luck.

Edit: Also won't be using Mage portals or Lock summons(unless I get stuck).

Last edited:
Well it would force you to stay immersed into the world and not have an instant portal. Less instant travel means more chance of WPVP as well.

It isn't necessarily convenience that breaks immersion. It is things that remove or distance you from the environment. I agree wholeheartedly that flying mounts, the way they were implemented, do a lot to detach you from the environment (which is why I hate them), but not every convenience does this. Mage portals, for example, create a social exchange between your avatar and the other guy's avatar. I think that adds immersion. Same with warlock summons. Especially when a reagent is needed to create it. It adds a social dynamic without breaking immersion. I don't really have an opinion on hearthstones though.

It isn't necessarily convenience that breaks immersion. It is things that remove or distance you from the environment. I agree wholeheartedly that flying mounts, the way they were implemented, do a lot to detach you from the environment (which is why I hate them), but not every convenience does this. Mage portals, for example, create a social exchange between your avatar and the other guy's avatar. I think that adds immersion. Same with warlock summons. Especially when a reagent is needed to create it. It adds a social dynamic without breaking immersion. I don't really have an opinion on hearthstones though.

I agree that a mage portal and lock summons do encourage social interaction and possibly add to immersion because of it, but with this being Vanilla there will be plenty of that by default. I don't think it could be argued that they do also help to reduce WPVP which imo is huge for immersion.

I'm flexible with those two things though in certain instances, but a hearthstone with a 1 hour cd is just redic.

You won't catch me sitting around waiting for a lock to summon me to a dungeon, I'm a trooper I make my own way.

people actually use hearthstones? don't you know you can unstuck every 10 minutes?

Though I like the thought...the other thought of running all the way back to the start of a very long instance, once you finish it...then running through a cave full of elites (which is pretty much where the entrance of most instances are located...not the mention raids)...only to die and either keep running back and forth naked (so my gear doesnt loose durability) or get rez sickness for however long is not an appealing notion...so I am going to stick with my HS.

Though I like the thought...the other thought of running all the way back to the start of a very long instance, once you finish it...then running through a cave full of elites (which is pretty much where the entrance of most instances are located...not the mention raids)...only to die and either keep running back and forth naked (so my gear doesnt loose durability) or get rez sickness for however long is not an appealing notion...so I am going to stick with my HS.

That's true, maybe I'll use it for instances only.

You won't catch me sitting around waiting for a lock to summon me to a dungeon, I'm a trooper I make my own way.

You are an inspiring man.

Can be interesting for lols to destroy your hearthstone but not for me vanilla leveling is challenging enough.

Was watching some interesting WoW videos by Corpsealot on youtube and one thing he was talking about was convenience in the current retail game ruining the immersion(LFG/LFR/flying mounts).

http://youtu.be/4ODux8nXkhk Last caller starts at 48:50 talks about it, great points made by the host.

So the point is that even though Vanilla has much less convenient travel methods available one way to make travel much less convenient would be to also destroy your hearthstone.

I'm going all in with immersion and gonna play the game without hearthing. Just me, my 16 slot bag and my wits to start out.

Wish me luck.

Edit: Also won't be using Mage portals or Lock summons(unless I get stuck).

nah
you think, you are gangsta? old school? hardcore?
you think that if you gonna destroy your heartstone and wont use portals it will make you more hardcore than me, bitch?
well think again, because do you know what i will do?
i will just click / and slowly make my way through the world...
this is some real immersion right here punk.

For a game like Skyrim where you can really interact with your surroundings I can understand not using stuff like fast-travel as it breaks immersion, but definitely wouldn't recommend it for WoW. Trust me, the 20th time you have to run the same route back to the same quest giver in the same zone you will lose interest quickly. But fair play to you if you're really going to do it! I would keep my HS in my bank just in case though! :wink:

When I was a scrub on Vanilla retail I deleated it after Goldshire because I dumped those quest to move on and thought it was some sort of quest item. Lucky me, I was a mage so I made due. But it wasnt until about lvl 52 I saw my brother hearth n was like where did u go? I aways got portals for my groups after an instance so never saw people do it. I had to open a ticket to get it back, and kept it hearthed at Cenarion Circle there after. Went from that to top dps in guild by the time I was done. It is amazing what propper math does to dps min-maxing (factoring in boss machanics) to properlly time things, using rank 1 frost bolt while on the move till T2 set or clear cast procs, stacking different rank mana gems, list goes on and on. But I will always remember my leveling journey with out a hearth stone. From newb to class leader.

Em, just to mention, if you destroy your HS, any inkeeper will give you new one when you "make this inn my new home".

When I was a scrub on Vanilla retail I deleated it after Goldshire because I dumped those quest to move on and thought it was some sort of quest item. Lucky me, I was a mage so I made due. But it wasnt until about lvl 52 I saw my brother hearth n was like where did u go? I aways got portals for my groups after an instance so never saw people do it. I had to open a ticket to get it back, and kept it hearthed at Cenarion Circle there after. Went from that to top dps in guild by the time I was done. It is amazing what propper math does to dps min-maxing (factoring in boss machanics) to properlly time things, using rank 1 frost bolt while on the move till T2 set or clear cast procs, stacking different rank mana gems, list goes on and on. But I will always remember my leveling journey with out a hearth stone. From newb to class leader.

Cool story. Gonna roll another mage?

As for hearth stones, I'm going to keep mine after all and use it only for exiting dungeons.

I always have the thought of rolling another mage again, but I am truly torn.

Main: Hunter > Mage > Rogue. (I can top meters as rogue stacking chance on hit gear - effective for top melee dps till BiS AQ40)

Alt: Proc Warrior (main tanked all expansions but Vanilla) > Dis/Holy priest (mixed points for mana/spirit max MP5 stacking) > Druid Heals.

I will main a dps at first because there will be more available tanks/heals on the 5 mans at lvl 60 for the first 2-3 months of launch. I will use exp level as proc or heals and be highly needed when I do first hit 60.

To keep to the thread, hearth stone will be on all characters :)

Don't forget to walk to an inn after every fight and logout, only logging back in after a week of letting yourself mend your wounds.

Better keep it in your bag for when you start doing group content. I wouldn't want someone in my group who can't get to an instance entrance in under an hour because he is at the opposite end of the world (of warcraft) and refuses to hearth half the way.

Thats exactly what wrong with the community today. Impatience. 1 hours is a bit of a exaggeration.
Everything has to be done in a few minutes. No time investment, no commitment.

Don't forget to walk to an inn after every fight and logout, only logging back in after a week of letting yourself mend your wounds.

Bahahaha.

Haha ok on topic. Interesting thought for sure!!
But I wouldn't see it as something I'd like to do, unless Hearthstones get completely unimplemented in the entire game of Kronos. Then I'd love it. Otherwise, hmmmmmmm...

Thats exactly what wrong with the community today. Impatience. 1 hours is a bit of a exaggeration.
Everything has to be done in a few minutes. No time investment, no commitment.

Yah everyone wants something for nothing. Welfare epic bums.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Last edited:
Top Bottom