• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Your Classic hotspots and preferred areas

Dalloway

Authorized
I was glancing through here and I have observed there are a number of threads inviting one to take a stroll down memory lane etc. This thread proposes it too, yet I'd also want to know what will players be into and where will they most likely be once endgame begins on Kronos; hopefully, it will be similar to Classic retail. For example, there were people who genuinely lived in that Heartglen, Scholomance, Tyr’s Hand, Stratholme quadrangle.

So, tell us, which were your top 10 favorite hotspots and preferred areas in Classic? Again, I am not referring to which zones you appreciated the most in general, I loved Darkshore, Ashenvale, Feralas, the outskirts of Dalaran, parts of Silverpine Forest etc., but I wasn’t spending a lot of time there once I had reached Level 60. I am talking about those areas where you were glad to have something to do or looked forward having to go to once at max level.

Here’s mine and where you will perhaps find me on Kronos.

1. Irontree Woods
As noted above, some made a living in the Plaguelands. Well, Irontree Woods was my nook in Classic. I would go there after raids and grind the dozen or so Water Elementals around the ponds, which had a tiny chance to drop Essences of Water, as a pretext to engage in WPVP. If things slowed down, one could always simply stroll to the Satyr encampments across the road, a popular spot for Felcloth grinding. And when things were silent all over, I would actually grind while listening to audiobooks (I finished several in Irontree Woods alone). May seem peculiar, but, to this day, visiting Felwood and this particular spot feels like coming back home. Special mention: Whipper Root Tubers & Night Dragon’s Breath!
2. Azshara
Being able to ride through this area again is actually a reason I believe I will enjoy Kronos. Even better, I will have a purpose again too. Another post-raid hangout, I would go there to gather Dreamfoil. Because it was abandoned aside from the occasional Azuregos raid, I would actually have WoW on my second monitor and I would read on my main. I have finished Chekhov’s best plays in this fashion – Ivanov, Uncle Vanya, The Cherry Orchard, The Sea Gull, etc. Azshara is my mental background for them and, to this day, I play the soundtrack when I reread them. And I don’t just mean the music, I actually downloaded a WotLK private client solely to recover the night time Ambience audio file after the Cataclysm hit; it has crickets and, peculiarly, dogs barking in the distance. Truly perfect for a Chekhov play. Azshara was full of beauty and, may sound odd given many thought it empty, simply full of curiosities. Leaving the furbolgs and naga aside, there were the Satyr (you never quite got the same vibe on Satyrs as a genuinely forgotten race anywhere else, until much later, when Bloodmyst Isle was released), the High Elven expedition, the Hydraxian Waterlords representatives, the Demon Hunter around whom you could fish Stonescale Eels!, the Blue flight which fit into the area so well and were grinded ad nauseum by Leatherworkers and, of course, Azuregos, walking on the ridges overlooking the ocean; it expressed very well the idea that it was mythic beast you had found at the end of the Earth.
Uff, wrote a bit much on this one, apologies.
3. The Temple of Ahn’Qiraj
Really, the mood surrounding the place was perfect. The antagonist was so solid. The encounters you had to defeat to reach it were great in terms of setting. The only thing I hated about it was the actual C’Thun encounter itself; they didn’t pull it off properly, as a concept, in my view. Onyxia, Ragnaros, Hakkar, Nefarian, they all felt as genuine creatures you had to struggle with to slay/banish. C’Thun… they tried to work the encounter around the mind-bending theme, yet it reminded me more of a discoteque. Had to wait until Yog-Sarron to see it done right.
4. Dire Maul
Same as Irontree Woods, always felt like coming back home. Such an enjoyable instance, with such a great setting and so many nooks and crannies to discover and linger over.
5. Dueling in front of Ironforge
Not as good a place as Ogrimmar, especially for my huntress who needed space to kite. It was slowly replaced by the gates of Stormwind, but perhaps we’ll reinstate it; I did enjoy jump-shotting down the ramp snaking towards Kharanos.
6. Winterfall Village
I would go to this area in Winterspring to grind for the Frostsaber while listening to my audiobooks (I only completed the grind in early TBC). Just as in Irontree Woods, I would mostly end up engaging in WPVP. Winterfall Firewater voom voom!
7. Blackrock Spire
Great cozy setting. Generally looked forward to runs into BRS. Killing orcs and dragonkin was niftier than zombies and abominations. Kitting Drakkisath yay! And it was a good link along the way you progressed: from the base camps in the Burning Steppes into the Spire and, then, into the Lair. More organic and neat than Searing Gorge into Blackrock Depths into Molten Core.
8. Fire Plum Ridge
This was basically the volcanic rock in the middle of Un’Goro Crater. Would grind Essences of Fire this time. Another place where I perpetually engaged in WPVP; constantly switching between Tracking Humanoids and Elementals, hunting down them down through the jungle if they retreated to recover etc. Pleasant hangout.
9. Deadwind Pass
I did not actually spend nearly as much time here as in the other places, yet it was a very atmospheric spot, think most would agree. Some WPVP would happen sporadically too. If there is one thing to regret about playing on a Classic Realm, is not having access to Karazhan. I loved the setting in that instance. And it is so Azeroth. They ought to have released it in Classic, it’s where it belongs.
10. Stranglethorn Vale during the weekend
So crowded during the weekends. Seemed that a quarter of the 60s on the Realm converged upon it. It felt like things were happening, and not only due to the Fishing Contest. Most guilds reserved Zul’Gurub for offdays, so there was a constant stream of 60s in the triangle between Grom’gol Base Camp, Nesingwary’s and the entrance. And then there was the Arena and the chaps farming reputation by the pirates etc. I normally hate this Indian jungle setting, but this one somehow did not bother me. In fact, when I entered it for the first time, heading N from Booty Bay, that cobbled road almost “felt” warm. I imagine for players coming from Duskwood the sensation was stronger, if they experienced it at all.

STV during the weekend is awesome, especially while lvling. I had the best accidental wpvp there when I was lvling on Feenix last year.

I also enjoy riding through Deadwindpass.... I still remember when all those years ago when I was wandering around and saw the ''Abandon hope'' signs with the hanging bodies, boy that was creepy.

For me, THE zone I'll always love and spend time in for no reason is the Alterac Mountains. It feels so desolate, ruined and cold... Yet also beautifully relaxing. The zone incarnates the broken kingdoms of Lordaeron perfectly. Plus the view on Lordamere Lake and Undercity is nice.

Last edited:
Stranglethorn. I remember in vanilla my friend and I leveled from 25 to 45 in one day, in just STV. Literally in one 24 hour period.

Cant go wrong with winterspring love the snow,and its a beautiful place :) my fav in vanilla:wub:

How is that even possible? :)
No clue dude. It was warrior hunter I think. But I gave my friend both accounts to play on and he played some alone then i did some with him. It was nuts. He did most of it though. Just by following.

No clue dude. It was warrior hunter I think. But I gave my friend both accounts to play on and he played some alone then i did some with him. It was nuts. He did most of it though. Just by following.

He must be some kind of leveling genius.

He must be some kind of leveling genius.

I don't want to call Sir Keebler a liar, but I think he may be mistaken. I try to speed level, I only ever speed levelled on horde but I can't imagine those 20 levels are that much more efficient for alliance. However, questing a proper circuit is by far more efficient than grinding. And STV has a lot of quests. But not 20 swift levels worth.

There wouldn't be enough rested exp to impact it a lot. It is just not plausible to partially quest but grind a lot of those 20 levels in 24 hours. 25-35 sure, doable but difficult. 25-45. Even the best speed levellers can't do it in 24 hours. That's before even taking into account with a follower so grouped experience? :no:

TM and SS at level 60. A guildie was having trouble with gankers? No problem, ill go help out.

10 minutes later there are 20 other horde players around me and we are raiding southshore.

30 minutes later i'm being corpse camped by 30 alliance nerds and they are moving in on Tarren Mill.

I can remember spending hours in the back and forth between SS and TM to much delight.

Farming twilights Hammer in Silithus...I spent hours there as a newly minted 60. I remember it well because of its difficulty for me..despite reaching max level, you couldn't once take your mind off the game or you end up dead.

STV! I really enjoy the tropic vibe and scenary. And the events there are awesome (Gurubashi, Fishing contest, Nesingwary brawls)

- - - Updated - - -

Stranglethorn. I remember in vanilla my friend and I leveled from 25 to 45 in one day, in just STV. Literally in one 24 hour period.

Are you certain that was in Vanilla? That seems highly improbable, even for the fastest leveler.

I've loved ashenvale. The mood, the music - awesome. I used to go there on 60 a lot, just for the mood - I know, silly.
Throughout the vanilla, one of my most favourite places was outside of Ironforge - dueling, like OP mentioned :smile:. I would be there every day, sometimes several hours. It was just fun.
Out of all the raids I liked Onyxia most. Still not sure why. It felt epic when I first went there. Also, the alliance attunement questline felt great too. Looking forward to it again.

Winterspring
I loved this zone. The music, the atmosphere and Mysterious places like Frostwhisper Gorge. I love snow, it's so cosy and relaxing.

Eastern Plaguelands
This zone is so ugly, it's beautiful. I like the music, the atmosphere there and the quests. It's a place, which held many mysteries to me (back then). Also, there was quite some wPvP going on. I loved farming runecloth and gold there, so grinding wasn't really a big issue. For me, grinding can be very funny, if you do it in a place you like, where the music and atmosphere is good and there are other players from both factions.

Stranglethorn Vale
My preferred leveling zone from 30-45.

STV really is one of the first zones, where alliance and horde quest side by side - the wPvP here is really strong. I like the quests, and the Nesingwary's camp is like a minefield for low level players. Ohhh, all the hours I have spent there in ghostform, because a druid or rogue was camping it, not to mention all the times I was lurking all STV for victims to kill. Usally it ended up in PvP battles with many players involved. Being corpsecamped or killed here is a part of the game, it's like a test for players, and that's what I liked.

Desolace
I'm a minorty here. I really liked this zone. It has many good quests, and I liked the barren feel. It is also a good zone if you are tired of being ganked to death in STV, because almost none are going here.

The Barrens
Nothing can describe the feeling I had, when I first entered this zone on my lvl 11 Tauren Hunter. Back then, I had really no glue what and where to go. I ended up being killed by the thunder lizards. This feeling is still inside me, and this is why The Barrens had, and always will have, a special place in my heart.

I loved the quests, the music, the famous(or infamous) barrens chat and the easy access to WC, RFK and RFD.

I like Azshara. The deep mystical and dusky music combined with all the lore events that happened here and the gloomy autumn weather and outlook makes it a perfect place for me, since autumn is my favourite season.:biggrin:
All those hunts for Azuregos and herbing routines. <3
There is a lot of tall hills you can climb on to and stalk people for world pvp or wait for the dragon to spawn.:laugh: Also a nice view of what was once the Night elf empire.:smile: I've red all the Warcraft books and I see zones in a different way than players that dont give a f*ck about lore. The game is more compelling when you know a bit more about it. Also its very close to Orgrimmar, since Im always Horde, its a close buy zone for higher level farming.
I really hate how they ruined the zone in Cataclysm and above with all that goblin bullsh*t...

Oh, Hinterlands lets not forget Hinterlands for horde at least .. damn i love that place the whole hidden valley in the mountains theme is just wonderful, and the coast everything is just spot on :)

http://www.wowwiki.com/Hinterlands?file=Plaguemist_Ravine.jpg

just epic :) :wub:

Amen to that brother.

I also love Arathi...I never actually quested there fully in vanilla, i did a few quests and got there thanks to first aid...but this time round I plan to do a full run-around there. Nothing special about its just...open...and... hilly...great to spot alliance who plan to sneak up on you from afar.

Most likely everywhere, where the ambient sound was damn nice. Specially ashenvale, Dun Morogh or Winterspring (Arathi Highlands)... also Barrens were really nice to read the chat.

Oh, Hinterlands lets not forget Hinterlands for horde at least .. damn i love that place the whole hidden valley in the mountains theme is just wonderful, and the coast everything is just spot on :)

http://www.wowwiki.com/Hinterlands?file=Plaguemist_Ravine.jpg

just epic :) :wub:

Reading through this I was going to say that Winter spring was my favorite but you reminded me of the Hinterlands and walking into that zone on my first toon that was a Dwarf Hunter just blew my mind. Loved every part of that zone. The Dwarfs that weren't part of Ironforge (and grinding rep with them because I thought they were cool as hell. They actually were originally the same faction as AV dwarfs before AV was released). The epic troll mountain and getting a 5 man group for that. And finally bringing the ZF maul to the temple to get the Ghazrilla summoner maul.

So. Much. Fun.

Then rolling horde later on and it being one of the best questing hubs ever.

Winterspring still is awesome however.

Last edited:
I already posted about winterspring(my fav zone) :)) being the most beautiful,especially in that pink glow of the sun ... man i cant wait any longer to relive my highschool nostalgia days on kronos ;)

http://www.icedragonart.com/wowexplorers/winterspring/winterspring_screenshots8.jpg

and i can honestly say in behalf of all of us here, that the conclusion of this thread is : Wow vanilla was F****ing MAGIC, a true gem !
...that blizz decided to shit on :)

I wouldn't say shit on. Yes I will say I am not a huge fan of what they did to all your favorite leveling zones with Cata. HOWEVER, I will give Cata its due and what it did do right was bring more depth into the lore for each zone. Each zone had its own unique (albeit hand-holding) story quest arc which brought the zone alive a bit more...but they did sacrifice a lot of the zones charm in the process.

Nonetheless, I will not forgive them for what they did to Camp T in cata.

Never again.

Top Bottom