• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Will Summoning Stones work here?

Not everyone knew about it even back in 2005 :)
http://cdn2.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20050810-fd4d9.jpg
cad-20050810-fd4d9.jpg

I recall both the mechanics of the meeting stones from old retail as well as that comic when it was posted. For Horde side, if you were around level 22-24 and wanted to get a Shadowfang Keep group going, you honestly had to get at least a party of 2 people going, and one person would have to bounce between Barrens and Orgrimmar shouting for group members while the second person had to yell for people in Undercity and Silverpine / Hillsbrad.

Players reading the comic laughed because of how useless the stones were and how stupid the author was for making it. It was created a good amount of time before the Innkeeper change happened. Well, Buckley is a complete loon but that's a different topic on its own. Hopefully Kronos will have faction restricted global chat channel ability and there will be a LFG global to take advantage of. If not, the Innkeepers are our only hope.

just for clarification:

Innkeepers will function just like Meeting Stones in front of dungeons. In vanilla this means they create a group for you with other people who queued up for the same dungeon and that's it.
It does not teleport you to the dungeon or anywhere else (in case someone thought it would), so players still have to wait for their fellow group members to travel to this dungeon!

And this is why this feature wasn't very popular and it was barely used back in vanilla, which at the same time explains why many people forgot about this. The usual way that players used to find a dungeon group was by searching for people in the lfg-chat or whatever else chat. And i can only guess that it will be the same on Kronos.

But anyway the function is there just like it was in Vanilla WoW, it is for the players to decide whether they use it or not.

Incredible, I don't remember those Inkeepers features, I'm going to rediscover Azeroth after Feenix seriously...

:lol:

So if you queued up for a dungeon, would it wait until 5 people queued up of your faction to create a party or if another person did would it just automatically create a party? I remember interacting with them back in 2005 when I had just picked up the game but I think I didn't have a clue of what they were used for so I never clicked them again.

I do remember this. Glad to see I wasn't crazy...i actually mentioned this mechanic to a few friends of minne recently and well...had me believed i was a tad crazy. The innkeeper one is new to me though...however i did always wonder what that gossip option was for...just gave me some random dialogue when I click it.

Only problem with this mechanic though is that it does not filter who is adds to your group...so if enough people do use it, you might find yourself in a party without a tank for example.

I for one intend on using the summoning stone for all its intended purposes...and hope more people do too!...though i'm probably also going to spam LFG channel/global as well.

Only problem with this mechanic though is that it does not filter who is adds to your group...so if enough people do use it, you might find yourself in a party without a tank for example.
When I was rapidly leveling up a new character on a second account a couple of months before Burning Crusade launched, that's exactly what happened to me. My cow druid landed in Crossroads in the Barrens, I joined a group Queue off the Wailing Caverns summon stone as I had a bunch of quests to do, and then I flew off to Stonetalon to complete some quests.

The queue launched a group with all DPS except me, to which I said "well, I have the proper level and gear to either tank or heal this, but I can't do both." the reply I got in the group chat was "we have some pets. they can tank, just heal and it should be okay."

I knew it wouldn't be okay so I dropped and vowed never to use it again lol. Channel spamming for a last party slot or two after starting a group with guildmates seemed to be the only way to get something done.

If I remember, Chero spent some time with tuning this tool more intelligent -- so Stones on Kronos always tries to make full group, including tank and healer.

But well, it probably determines player's role only by class, so if you are warrior or druid and you want to go only as dps.. yeah, that might be a problem. :huh:

If it's true the mechanic is tweaked here to be better, that's something. I don't however have much faith in the system at all. Just look how many people didn't know this. Add on top of that how stones work on other private servers, it's just going to let down more people. We all have been spoiled by the WotLK dungeon finder. No matter how much flak it gets, it is a good stress free way to gather parties.

The other hope to remove the most pain from group forming is global chat. It's also something we have accustomed into in other private realms. Was there admin endorsed global channel on this server? I really hope we have faction specific global chat. And make it right this time - general and lfg channel (so I can leave the former if it becomes another spam channel). Forming groups outside guild runs is not something I remember fondly from vanilla.

So if you queued up for a dungeon, would it wait until 5 people queued up of your faction to create a party or if another person did would it just automatically create a party?

It immediately created the party and then automatically added any new queuers. Like said, it was so shitty it didn't take tanks or healers into consideration. Usually the level range starts too low in the stones, so you can have very hard time.

The other hope to remove the most pain from group forming is global chat. It's also something we have accustomed into in other private realms. Was there admin endorsed global channel on this server? I really hope we have faction specific global chat. And make it right this time - general and lfg channel (so I can leave the former if it becomes another spam channel). Forming groups outside guild runs is not something I remember fondly from vanilla..

I think I read somewhere that to begin with...like the auction house...it will cross-faction based...to begin with, as the population numbers will be uncertain and it will better kickstart the economy. When a decent based population has been reached by both factions both the chat and the AH will be split...

Thats what i have read anyway...I can't seem to find the thread I read it on...or at least I hope thats how it is to begin with.

I think I read somewhere that to begin with...like the auction house...it will cross-faction based...to begin with, as the population numbers will be uncertain and it will better kickstart the economy. When a decent based population has been reached by both factions both the chat and the AH will be split...

Thats what i have read anyway...I can't seem to find the thread I read it on...or at least I hope thats how it is to begin with.

Nope, just nope.
There will be no cross-faction chat nor AH.

I think I read somewhere that to begin with...like the auction house...it will cross-faction based...to begin with, as the population numbers will be uncertain and it will better kickstart the economy.
They've updated the FAQ just for you :)

If I'm not mistaken, connected AH is "possible solution if population of the server is not able to fill separated AH".

Top Bottom