• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Character Auction

Re: Kronos has a Perception Proble

The only thing I'm going to point out is that we can't compare completely different genres of games in the pay to win argument because they are different by design and there will never be similarities that will justify that comparison. If we're bringing in completely off topic games, sure I can totally justify that Kronos is pay to win. This gets back to my first post: You cannot argue semantics like comparing an FPS shooter to an MMORPG and trying to make an argument saying the MMO is pay to win because the same scenario in the shooter is pay to win.

We either stay in the realm of how WoW can be pay to win on Kronos with a character AH, or we lock this thread. Any other discussion is worthless and will prove nothing.

This evolved into yet another Character Auction topic...

Jackie-Chan.jpg

And still, nobody cares about the issue that there are no characters to buy. You cannot get any characters, unless some Kronos player chooses to allow you to buy his.

And still, nobody cares about the issue that there are no characters to buy. You cannot get any characters, unless some Kronos player chooses to allow you to buy his.

And I can't believe I hadn't thought of this yet, but you are exactly correct. How can something be pay to win if the commodity is not guaranteed? If no one decides to sell their character, where's the pay to win argument? Will no one sell their character? I bet they will, but it's not like there's a limitless supply of characters to buy.

I merged the "perception" topic with the original "auction" one since there are obviously still many people willing to beat this dead horse until it dies again...

EVE sanctions characer trades/sales and it's not a big deal at all. People buy tons of in-game cash using RL money and buy characters with them. It's the same shit here, it could be said that EVE's system is p2w but it's not.

Even if CCP artificially injects characters it sure hasn't hurt eve (which continues to grow and has incredible player retention). If someone that can't play well buy's a character and it clearly shows, you just remove them from the group... it's simple really because it will be clear if they do.

I merged the "perception" topic with the original "auction" one since there are obviously still many people willing to beat this dead horse until it dies again...

Sigh... I'll just end with that my point of starting that Perception topic was not to beat the clearly deceased and decomposing horse of if the Character Auction is P2W or not.

My point was to bring to light is that because of the Character Auction, a much larger percentage than it should be, of the Vanilla Community thinks Kronos is P2W when it is not. It is my suggestion that Kronos Devs / Twinstar very clearly and explicitly state how the CA works on a main-page so that potential players do not have to jump through hoops to find the information to make an informed decision.

Sigh... I'll just end with that my point of starting that Perception topic was not to beat the clearly deceased and decomposing horse of if the Character Auction is P2W or not.

My point was to bring to light is that because of the Character Auction, a much larger percentage than it should be, of the Vanilla Community thinks Kronos is P2W when it is not. It is my suggestion that Kronos Devs / Twinstar very clearly and explicitly state how the CA works on a main-page so that potential players do not have to jump through hoops to find the information to make an informed decision.

I agree, a post noting how everything works would be awesome.

Mentat i have to repeat myself yet again. Kronos is free project, but as almost every other free online game, there is stuff to compensate for no initial cost and monthly fee.

This is just a regular F2P model, that is not actually giving somebody the advantages of being actually better.

Gear doesnt really matter, good players will be good, bad players will be bad.

But PvP will kinda suffer because noobs can just get a faceroll class that will have gear to 1shot people, theres that "Vanilla is the best WoW" for ya :D :D :D.

I am not even the kind of "Blizzlike over all" player (I don't mind vanity items like provided in the shop and I currently play on a server where people get twice xp and instant flight for donations and I love it - btw this is more than enough to keep the server running) but I don't really like the Char Auctions and consider it also P2W.

The point that the original player got to invest time doesn't matter, it is about the fact that the new guy buying a character that wouldn't exist / be played anymore is able to compete with you or even kick your a** in several aspects of the game.

If he couldn't buy the char he wouldn't be able to compete for a long time and you could use the time to improve your char while he starts his journey at level 1.
By simply buying a char that got abandoned he competes with you, be it for money, rank, spot in a raid and such, even with a rather fresh 60, not even talking about chars with really nice equip or faction reputation.
He wouldn't be able to do this without the auction for quite a long time, how isn't this P2W?
How isn't this impacting my gaming expirience?

No matter if I know for certain due to renaming that char, the fact that this is even a possibility leaves a bad taste.

In the end, a big part of vanilla wow is about rivalry, owning stuff most others don't have, accomplishing things most others didn't... and I would prefer to know for certain the guy I'm playing with or against did it on his own, not just shell out some bucks and doing stuff he wouldn't be able to do for months.

And no, I don't care about people being scammed when doing something that shouldn't be allowed in my eyes anyways.

Last edited:
I am not even the kind of "Blizzlike over all" player (I don't mind vanity items like provided in the shop and I currently play on a server where people get twice xp and instant flight for donations and I love it - btw this is more than enough to keep the server running) but I don't really like the Char Auctions and consider it also P2W.

The point that the original player got to invest time doesn't matter, it is about the fact that the new guy buying a character that wouldn't exist / be played anymore is able to compete with you or even kick your a** in several aspects of the game.

If he couldn't buy the char he wouldn't be able to compete for a long time and you could use the time to improve your char while he starts his journey at level 1.
By simply buying a char that got abandoned he competes with you, be it for money, rank, spot in a raid and such, even with a rather fresh 60, not even talking about chars with really nice equip or faction reputation.
He wouldn't be able to do this without the auction for quite a long time, how isn't this P2W?
How isn't this impacting my gaming expirience?

No matter if I know for certain due to renaming that char, the fact that this is even a possibility leaves a bad taste.

In the end, a big part of vanilla wow is about rivalry, owning stuff most others don't have, accomplishing things most others didn't... and I would prefer to know for certain the guy I'm playing with or against did it on his own, not just shell out some bucks and doing stuff he wouldn't be able to do for months.

And no, I don't care about people being scammed when doing something that shouldn't be allowed in my eyes anyways.

You know everything you described can happen if this system isn't in place. In fact, it will still probably happen through illegal sales, Kronos it just capitalizing on it and realizing people will do it so they make it safe and make money.

In the end it will still happen, your argument is moot really.

You know everything you described can happen if this system isn't in place. In fact, it will still probably happen through illegal sales, Kronos it just capitalizing on it and realizing people will do it so they make it safe and make money.

In the end it will still happen, your argument is moot really.

I know it might happen anyway, however by allowing it, it will happen more often and make me ask myself much more if this is the case when playing.
And just not being able to prevent it altogehter doesn't make allowing it better.
Most likely I'll try Kronos anywas but honestly, I consider it a bad decision.

...very clearly and explicitly state how the CA works on a main-page so that potential players do not have to jump through hoops to find the information to make an informed decision.
I agree, a post noting how everything works would be awesome.
I think nothing bad will happen if some small explanation is added to the FAQ on the web page maybe? I will tell Chero. Nonetheless, you can tell people again and again that the character auction has been running on TwinStar.cz for years without anybody thinking it is P2W etc. and that you simply know after these years how it works and what it does and does not do, but - as The Who sing - It's Not Enough.

I know it might happen anyway, however by allowing it, it will happen more often and make me ask myself much more if this is the case when playing.
And just not being able to prevent it altogehter doesn't make allowing it better.
Most likely I'll try Kronos anywas but honestly, I consider it a bad decision.

You can't prevent it, you never can and never will.

It happens all the time. You are basing your logic on the fact that someone hasn't spent as much time as you so they shouldn't deserve it which is just selfish. I don't condone account buying/trading/selling but it works in EVE and there's really no reason it doesn't work here - because it WILL happen on any MMO with accounts: it happened on ED, happens on Nostalrius, and it will happen here. So by saying you won't play on a server because they make it safe for people to - you're shooting yourself in the foot.

You are basing your logic on the fact that someone hasn't spent as much time as you so they shouldn't deserve it which is just selfish

Agreed.

The fact someone bought someone else's character doesn't affect you. You'd probably face the same character anyway, used either by the original player (who'd be much more skilled than the buyer) or by a friend to whom he would have given it.

Definition of P2W is that you must Pay To Win. This applies in no way to Kronos, where maybe 1 person out of hundreds will simply have bought his more-or-less geared character from someone else.

Can't believe people are still debating about that. Just let the misinformed be misinformed and the illogical act illogically.

Top Bottom