• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Kronos is the best upcomming vanilla server?

Irwin

Hi guys

I have been following the Nostalrius project with rising enthusiasm for the the past couple of months. Today I found Kronos.

I was wondering if someone could convince me to pick this server over Nostalrius? Both seems excellent to me, I was kinda thinking that I would just pick which ever comes first.

Some good arguments and no flame/mud throwing please. And mods, I am not trying to discredit your server or promote some other server. Just want to hear good arguments.

Cheers!

Read news posts, watch videos, do some comparisions for yourself.
I suspect your choice will be clear after that :biggrin:

It's either Kronos or Nostalrius, honestly. The problem is, Nostalrius has done an open test already, while Kronos has not, so comparing them would be kinda.. hard.

Well, I took part in their "PvP"-Test and basically nothing worked and all the people just complained :DD.
And as a Tester I can compare with what I experienced here and that's by far better imo.

You see, that's the problem. Before you could compare what Kronos promised to what Nostalrius promised. Now you can compare what Kronos promises to what Nostalrius actually has. Of course promised things always sound better than actual ones, so comparing the two servers at this point would be extremely unfair. I'd also like to mention that 2nd part of PvP test was a much more pleasant experience, and that the speed of bug fixing was extremely satisfying, but don't really want to ignite a server war here.

It's either Kronos or Nostalrius, honestly. The problem is, Nostalrius has done an open test already, while Kronos has not, so comparing them would be kinda.. hard.

I don't think this is a problem at all. Why would we need an open test if we know what to fix?
While there are still open reports, there is no reason to have an open test.

A group of dedicated and synchronized testers is way better than a group of people running around with T3 gear :)

Now you can compare what Kronos promises to what Nostalrius actually has.

...?

I don't know about quality, haven't tested either, but Kronos has a significantly larger following(if you consider the traffic of the twos homepages: http://www.similarweb.com/website/kronos-wow.com vs http://www.similarweb.com/website/en.nostalrius.org) and population is very important in an MMO.

Hmm, I would say that the stats of kronos-wow.com might be a bit misleading, since the forum uses another domain. Active people here might not visit kronos-wow.com, I mean if the forum would be under kronos-wow.com, traffic would be greatly increased.

Last edited:
A similar question was asked on reddit, some pretty good answers there.
http://www.reddit.com/r/KronosWoW/comments/2owl2o/why_should_i_play_here_and_not_on_a_different/

for me kronos has more proof of their quality and the website offers way more features. The following of kronos is also a lot larger so if both servers are at least decent I'm picking the one that is most populated.

i'd like to say that kronos devs and testers are way more active on the forum than on nostalrius. If you ask here if a certain thing works you get response immediately and you can also look it up in the bug tracker. On nostalrius i have noticed that many threads don't get answered by devs. On nostalrius people have been asking for more forum sections, an armory, database etc but no response whatsoever. Doesn't look good. And your first forum post there needs to be approved? Seems insecure, why is there no e-mail activation?

Last edited:
I don't think this is a problem at all. Why would we need an open test if we know what to fix?

A group of dedicated and synchronized testers is way better than a group of people running around with T3 gear :)

You see, this might sound a little harsh, but I'm not one to believe in empty promises. Both Kronos and Nostalrius are almost same in my eyes, both very promising projects, both promise to deliver scripting better than ever before and also back up their promises with vids of fixes. The difference is, Nostalrius decided to actually give people a glimpse of what's awaiting them. It has uncovered many of bugs and defects, sure. But it also shown us that Nostal admins are able to apply fixes at a very fast speed, and in my opinion it has contributed greatly to overall hype for the server. My guild on ED, for example, is actively discussing the possiblity of migrating to that server when it opens. No matter how you look at it, an open test will bring the server more good than bad.

Well, what I meant here, on open test people got to see the actual quality of the server, not what they promised in their videos.

When both come out (because honestly when one releases the other will release as well as a response) you can try them out and see which one you prefer, obviously population is a big factor towards an enjoyment of an mmo and at the moment Kronos has a larger following, but in my opinion most people that know about both don't really have a preference they just want to play as soon as possible.

Well, what I meant here, on open test people got to see the actual quality of the server, not what they promised in their videos.

I believe the showcases prove functionality, not promises. Just my two cents.

I believe the showcases prove functionality, not promises. Just my two cents.
Yeah, sure, but it proves functionality of those specific mechanics that those vids were devoted to. Nostalrius had a lot of things bugged when it opened for test, but all the things that were in its videos worked flawlessly. It's the overall picture that a player has to see to make a decision, and no video can provide that.

Kronos has the backing of TwinStar, which has already been running other servers for years. They've proven themselves stable and have good DDoS protection. That's a huge advantage over the competition.

Nostalrius doesn't have anything that Kronos doesn't have as well. Comparing the communities, Kronos' seem bigger and more active. Also Kronos' videos has shown some bug fixes I've never seen done anywhere else.

Check old kronos wow raiding videos in youtube , even back then it was alot better then any server now... And for me its alot more then open test , if they were so good back then , so i guess now it will be blizzlike eventually ( first private server blizzlike :D )

To the OP. I don't know much about Nostalrius so I cannot comment on that. I will try to retain an objective point of view as much as possible.

As of right now, honestly the situation isn't ideal on either side. Nostalrius to me seems to be making many promises but the general reception of the open beta test wasn't exactly what I expected. Kronos on the other hand has released several videos showing very common (yet often equally overlooked) bug that they have fixed. It makes one wonder if they actually put time and effort into fixing (sometimes) such minor bugs, then how might the rest of the game look like - pretty damn good it seems.

Now, the rather bad part is that Kronos was by some (or many?) expected to be released in December. When it wasn't, it was unfortunate. Now please, I am not blaming anyone. Just trying to retain objective PoV. It certainly didn't help anything.

Ultimately the choice will be yours. But from what I have seen, I myself am sticking to Kronos. It's just looking better to me personally.

Just my two cents...I use to play on Rebirth before it went down due to DDoS attacks and Blizzard filing a cease and desist. What attracts me to Kronos has been their showcase videos but also because it is part of the twinstar Project. That alone provides some decent DDoS protection and secure backing in anything was to go wrong with the server.

I can't comment on what Nostalrius has because I don't know enough about the project, its one I have found hard to get any hard information on without spending a decent amount of time on the forums. I am pretty sure though that Nostalrius is lacking a bit in the DDoS protection, please correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: I do realise that they say their server hosts offer them DDoS protection. But unless they are paying premiums for an account with the host...the protection they are offering will be moot for a server like this. I am not going to pretend to know much about it, but the Rebirth server was in the same boat...used a well know server host, to host the server and it still encountered weeks of downtime due to DDoS

When both come out (because honestly when one releases the other will release as well as a response) you can try them out and see which one you prefer, obviously population is a big factor towards an enjoyment of an mmo and at the moment Kronos has a larger following, but in my opinion most people that know about both don't really have a preference they just want to play as soon as possible.

Pretty much what Cornholi has said. The fact that there are two servers trying their best to provide a fantastic server is absolutely awesome. I feel both will be on equal terms with each other. Just try them both out and see which...fits...I know that whatever time either comes out I shall give them both a shot...and decide then where I fit.

Last edited:
Hello to everyone =)

I'm following both servers as well and it's cool to see some sane comments on many thread from the both forums

except this kind of babyish brainwashing :

Well, I took part in their "PvP"-Test and basically nothing worked and all the people just complained :DD.

haha :D

If i may, i would advice the OP to remember this :

Pretty much what Cornholi has said. The fact that there are two servers trying their best to provide a fantastic server is absolutely awesome. I feel both will be on equal terms with each other. Just try them both out and see which...fits...I know that whatever time either comes out I shall give them both a shot...and decide then where I fit.

In addition
I (We) have the chance to wait two servers which already lived during a couple of years, it's pretty cool to be able to compare the pve hl content trough the youtube channels, guilds vidéos or w/e (assuming that during the last months it only could have been improved) and testing it <3 asap <3

cheers !

except this kind of babyish brainwashing

Except that Cursedsilence was speaking the truth. If you truly believe there is competition then I have to disappoint you. There are just too many obvious flaws left for them to be taken seriously. Not to mention a shitload of subtle flaws and bugs which would take months or even year to find and fix.
To break it down, the real competitors are Feenix and CoreCraft. With the later beeing more a myth then a real project. Just kidding, its going to release 2015 for sure <3. Still its TBC so I don't know how the impact on Kronos will look like.

It would be realls refreshing if some of you would stop with the constant fanboyism of other projects in our forum. Its getting pretty damn annoying.

I check both forums and progress regularly and see similar names popping up now and then. A few of those people post entirely positive statements in one forum and entirely negative statements with the occasional neutral statement to avoid looking too suspicious on the other.
Its a crying shame, but as it seems you can't avoid having shills of other projects in your forum

There are just too many obvious flaws left for them to be taken seriously. Not to mention a shitload of subtle flaws and bugs which would take months or even year to find and fix.

Once again, as not a fanboy for either side, I'm curious, can you elaborate on these?

I check both forums and progress regularly and see similar names popping up now and then. A few of those people post entirely positive statements in one forum and entirely negative statements with the occasional neutral statement to avoid looking too suspicious on the other.

+1
all the followers know these names which should be banned cause like you said it's annoying.

The OP's goal was constructive, some people answered to him with arguments like DDOS security, scripts, showcases, hype&pop, dev's reactivity etc... and some other people answered with hate statements (i.e the quote i did in my last post).

There are just too many obvious flaws left for them to be taken seriously.

since I tried their scripts during pvp session, without examples from you I can say that I dont take your says seriously :/

Who cores bout riports? TLDR lemme play!
I think it's not a big problem indeed... But not "not a problem at all". For players it's much easier to compare in-game. I hope that Kronos will have an open test, at least a short one. Just for the hype! And to smash this Nostalrius fans argument - "They had open test and you hadn't?? What are you hiding from us???". I believe you can smash this argument, can't you..?

Back to subject: we don't really know (as Ghosty states), but there're several things (mentioned by others) that make (most of) us think that Kronos is the best indeed.
+1
all the followers know these names which should be banned cause like you said it's annoying.
No. Fuck censorship! If you can't convince a player that you're better, the worst thing is to ban him. It's unfair, it gives the banned guy a reason to spread a bad word, but most of all - it gives everyone a reason to think that something is hidden from us, just as the banned guy suspected.

Last edited:
Talking about N server, what realy turned any of my interest away was their claim, that "server is 100% ready for release, we just wait for enough players" and then they showed first pvp test.

Top Bottom