• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

What makes you want to play Vanilla World of Warcraft again?

Ahh I created my forum and game logins here a couple of days ago. Thought that this was going to be my first post :smile:. I have been playing WoW on and off for nearly ten years and I want to get into playing vanilla WoW again for three reasons.

1. I love to quest and the whole leveling up experience. Retail is just a giant faceroll. Aggro lots of mobs and just AoE. In vanilla you really have to watch it. Aggro two or more mobs and you are dead (depending on class).

2. My second reason is tied to the first one. The whole leveling experience is just bad on ED, yup I've played there. I'm constantly reminded that it's a BAD private server when I see NPCs walking and "falling" at the same time (bad pathfinding). Or when I actually faintly remember a reply that an NPC is supposed to give me when I return a quest item and... nothing happens because it's not scripted :sad:.

3. The third reason is, and it's a big one, nostalgia! I still remember... I was working and living in Oslo, Norway. My GF had recently left me and I wanted something to take my mind off of the horrible job I had. Several stores had sold out on WoW, but the third one had a copy. I made a human male warrior :biggrin:. I was a HUGE noob, it was also my first MMO experience. I was inspecting ppl in SW. The ones that had epics were like superstars to me, haha. One strong memory I have was when I was sitting down on a crate in SW Trade District. It was 6pm and I heard the church bells ring. I thought it was so cool and immersive <3.

If Kronos is up and running on 7 March 2015 then I'll be playing on that day. Celebrating my personal ten year anniversary of WoW :laugh:.

Ahh I created my forum and game logins here a couple of days ago. Thought that this was going to be my first post :smile:. I have been playing WoW on and off for nearly ten years and I want to get into playing vanilla WoW again for three reasons.

1. I love to quest and the whole leveling up experience. Retail is just a giant faceroll. Aggro lots of mobs and just AoE. In vanilla you really have to watch it. Aggro two or more mobs and you are dead (depending on class).

I was a HUGE noob, it was also my first MMO experience. I was inspecting ppl in SW. The ones that had epics were like superstars to me, haha.

:laugh:.

hahaha ,same just that i was inspecting people while waiting for zeppelin rides from undercity to orgrimmar! :D

man ...vanilla was magic!

Was just watching a stream of current WoW PvP, and the main thing that stuck out to me is how long the fights were lasting. Even the mage had tremendous survivability and lacked the burst to bring anyone down. I guess some people enjoy that. I find it to be awful.

So... I enjoy the "burstyness" of Vanilla. I like that if a Rogue or Mage gets the jump on me, I can die quickly. And if I get the jump on them, the same holds true.

Was just watching a stream of current WoW PvP, and the main thing that stuck out to me is how long the fights were lasting. Even the mage had tremendous survivability and lacked the burst to bring anyone down. I guess some people enjoy that. I find it to be awful.

So... I enjoy the "burstyness" of Vanilla. I like that if a Rogue or Mage gets the jump on me, I can die quickly. And if I get the jump on them, the same holds true.

QFT
They tried to push the game into a competetive arena setup (which obviously didn't work that well).
Players claim that vanilla was just a massive one or two-shot fest. It wasn't.
Its possible and it happes, but only if you let it. If its not an AP/PoM fire mage you can at least avoid beeing bursted down in split seconds most of the time.

Yeah, vanilla fights can be very long when both sides know what to do.. And i gues that it's the same on retail now.

The very lame thing about retail currently is all classes feel the same.

You have talent trees giving you your movement boosts at 15 for every class, then some survivability cooldown, so on and so forth.

Only difference is the skin and the resource system.

Otherwise every DPS spec can heal (some better than full heal specs: ferals, rets, blood dk), every spec has mobility, hard CC etc.

When I pvp it's just a DPS race vs my opponent off heals. No strategic play whatsoever (that's in PuG BG, game is too imbalanced to go arenas lol).

holy moly am i excited to see this server going up. My excitement factor is through the roof. Vanilla wow was a defining element of my childhood. I started just around the end of vanilla, right before BC and i joined with all of my friends, in a guild ran by my best friends' mom. As a result, i missed out on a lot of endgame content. A friend of mine and I are both jumping on kronos, and we are excited beyond belief. Here's to new memories and experiences!

A friend of mine and I are both jumping on kronos,

Me too bro! With the same guys I used to play vanilla with.
Not sure if they will both be joining, but atleast one of them is.

We're gonna make a nasty combo and go pvp.
It'll probably be Lock + Spriest on Horde side.

:death2::death2:

Me too bro! With the same guys I used to play vanilla with.
Not sure if they will both be joining, but atleast one of them is.

We're gonna make a nasty combo and go pvp.
It'll probably be Lock + Spriest on Horde side.

:death2::death2:
AAAAHHHH that's exactly what were going to do
we both originally rolled allies so we were going to experience it from the other side. we're even registering with our original names to see if anyone recognizes us. you never know!

I want to travel back in time. To play Classic WoW the way it was when I first started playing. I want reaching level cap to be a marathon.

Poorly itemized gear was everywhere. Many pieces of equipment didn't match. It made acquiring a set so much more fulfilling; Appropriate itemization, and no longer dressed like a clown.

I reached the pinnacle of my WoW career near the end of WotLK, with my Kingslayer title. Now I want to go back to a time when you had to walk uphill in the snow both ways to reach end-game.

I want to master the game I was so bad at at the beginning of high school, and prove that I am now good enough to reach the end of original WoW.

Last edited:
AAAAHHHH that's exactly what were going to do
we both originally rolled allies so we were going to experience it from the other side. we're even registering with our original names to see if anyone recognizes us. you never know!

Hahah, same set-up as us?
:death2:

Hahah, same set-up as us?
:death2:

Coincidentally yes. I played a human lock all through vanilla up to Cata before quitting. I'm torn between rolling an undead rogue or an undead warlock. The warlock would be the easy choice for me since I have over 400 days played time with that class, but since Kronos is the perfect time to try new things (and since rogues were so powerful in PvP and PvE in vanilla) I think i may roll a rogue instead. Either way, Mornach and I look forward to having some classic (no pun intended) experiences with everyone. I can't wait to play on Kronos!

Coincidentally yes. I played a human lock all through vanilla up to Cata before quitting. I'm torn between rolling an undead rogue or an undead warlock. The warlock would be the easy choice for me since I have over 400 days played time with that class, but since Kronos is the perfect time to try new things (and since rogues were so powerful in PvP and PvE in vanilla) I think i may roll a rogue instead. Either way, Mornach and I look forward to having some classic (no pun intended) experiences with everyone. I can't wait to play on Kronos!

That's funny, I'm also torn between those 2 classes but for me its the other way around.
Ive played Rogue a LOT, and want something new so Im most likely going Lock.

You should Inbox me when we go live, we could have some great fun in (World) PvP.

For me it's gotta be the thrills - the adrenaline rushes as well as some other factors.

Most intense moments I've ever had gaming were in Vanilla and this is mainly due to the fact that the world was a dangerous place back then. Just making it to the instances was often a dangerous proposition, had boat loads of fun fighting horde on my way to a dungeon. That and the dungeons themselves were much more challenging/rewarding.

Everything had to be worked for as well which made everything you got seem much more worthwhile.

Gear mattered. You didn't know when they next slot upgrade would be and since you couldn't spam dungeon finder all day and be constantly spoon fed loot you had to really make due with what you had. Sometimes using a green item for upwards of 10 levels was necessary because gear was hard to come by. All drops were random so this added to the challenge of gearing up. But when you finally got that new piece of armor you have been needing so much it felt 10x better than if it were easy to acquire.

Time mattered. No matter how much time you had to play the game you still had to use it wisely since there was so much that needed to be done. Traveling took so much time, especially before mounts, and this made the scale of the world that much larger. This increased immersion for me.

Gold mattered. When you have to choose between what skills you are going to upgrade because you can only afford one of the three available gold matters. Finding that lvl 20 rare BoE that you know sells for 5g or more and knowing you will be set for buying skills for the next while is a great feeling. Watching someone scoop up all your auctions of cloth or ore when you just spent all your gold on a new weapon and knowing you aren't broke anymore is a great feeling. Actually having to make a living for yourself in the game created so much more immersion.

Reputation mattered. Want to do a lot of level 60 content? Well you better make a name for yourself and prove that you have what it takes to get the job done and don't ninja or log off half way through a dungeon.

The comradery. Soloing content just doesn't even compare to the thrill of downing bosses with people you have grown close to.

It can all be boiled down to this: your decisions mattered. In the current retail game they don't.

Im going back to vanilla because i like its gearing sistem... You have to be patient and fight for your stuff step by step, you dont get epics few days after you capped level... You go step by step dungeon by dungeon blue by blue untill you finaly ready to take your first epic from MC trash! TBC and all other expansions are like, you level up to max, so you play 2 days more and get full epic geared for doing just 2 dungeons because you can just jump ungeared anywhere you want and finnish the job... numbers dont count like on old vanilla, in old vanilla if you miss 2% hit, youre going nowhere ! so, step by step and thats what i like!

Grouping is once again the norm for me and everyone else, so everyone is always looking to find good group mates.

Content is hard again, including elites in dangerous open world areas.

Open world PvP integrated with PvE. TM/SS ping pong was organic and fun. Getting ganked, getting revenge, avoiding superior forces was all part of the fun of a world at war simulation.

Hotspots that used to be constant battle locations will once again be that.

City invasions.

Not trivializing travel to make the world larger and more epic again.

Groups talking and staying together once formed for multiple quests or dungeons.

Building a reputation that matters, and conversely watching with glee as total assholes get the shunning they deserve.

Conquering tasks through effort with others creates memorable events you don't forget. I still recall lots of early EQ, DAoC and LOTRO times years ago in detail when they used to be difficult and required teamwork, but I couldn't tell you what I did last week in Panda-land. I am certain it was something boring and easy.

but I couldn't tell you what I did last week in Panda-land. I am certain it was something boring and easy.

It's interesting because I feel the same way. I played every expansion from vanilla to WoD, and seriously I can't remember a single thing from Cata to WoD. It wasn't memorable. But I remember every single FBK in vanilla, outdoor gankings, and so on. It's wierd.

Although I like WoD. Or part of it. I still like mythic raiding with my guild, but it's just not enough. That's why I'm looking for a quality vanilla server, and I'm hoping that Nos or Kronos will be able to deliver that.

TM/SS ping pong was organic and fun

Like Preach said in one of his movies. It sucked.
After the introduction of BGs TM/SS PvP disappeared.
Sure you got good memories, but in reality thats only because it was your first PvP experience in a larger scale. AKA nostalgia.
There was nothing (too) good about it since it usually just ended up in 1 faction beeing decimated by a larger or stronger zerg.
I enjoyed it, as much as anyone else I guess. As long as it lasted :) After that, not so much.

Tyr's Hand on the other hand was huge gank fest throughout the entire duration of vanilla. If you want to point out something as the pinacle of open PvP then probably that.

After the introduction of BGs TM/SS PvP disappeared.
I joined late in vanilla and Shadowmoon had TM/SS PvP occasionally though!

Tyr's Hand on the other hand was huge gank fest throughout the entire duration of vanilla. If you want to point out something as the pinacle of open PvP then probably that.
This on the other hand was mostly uneventful. I might get picked off by a cunty rogue who caught me after a number of mobs had worn me down, but I never really experienced proper PvP there.

Maybe I was just in some Bizarro Server.

2 most important things:
1. You can fell epic items value.
2. WPvP - best thing about vanilla. Since there is no flying mounts world feels alive.

Top Bottom