• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

[Poll] Cross-faction donation mounts on Kronos?

Can't say I'm a fan of it, but it doesn't affect game-play and not many players have an opposite faction mount. It'd be different if you could just buy them off mount vendors and everyone were riding mounts they shouldn't be.

What I was saying was that WotLK client does not support it either (Cataclysm does), but you can make it to do so. You actually can do it on Vanilla too, because the way it is done in private servers is not client-sided, is server-sided. You can adapt the code from WotLK servers to the vanilla core.

Talking about a modified WoW client with a new feature as argument against having cross faction mounts is retarded. Just pointing this out... Apart from the development time involved, modifying the client is for sure illegal (even the private server themselves are in a gray area).

Talking about a modified WoW client with a new feature as argument against having cross faction mounts is retarded. Just pointing this out... Apart from the development time involved, modifying the client is for sure illegal (even the private server themselves are in a gray area).
You don't actually have to modify the client at all. You don't even need addons for it. It's just a matter of changing display IDs for a specific character's gear slot, regardless of what gear he is wearing.

It's extremely simple and Chero would probably implement a whole system within a week. Tristan is only arguing that it's possible, not that it should be done or is comparable to cross faction mounts. And it IS possible, it's not even hard or requires client modificaiton. If you wanted it to look EXACTLY like on retail, you'd have to develop an addon alongside it. Not that hard either, but unnecessary extra work.

Ok, dude, and the actual interface where you do that is not in the client? Oh, wait, you want a transmog interface on the site? That's kinda like a facebook game. I think that would be great. After they fix those around 2000+ bugs currently in the game :laugh: Anyway, that's not a week work, it's much more.

I would have been really impressed to see a modified WotLK client with transmog interface from Cata.

Tristan is only arguing that it's possible, not that it should be done or is comparable to cross faction mounts..

Exactly this. It was a kind of off topic because I wasn't arguing about that, I was just saying that it is possible to do transmog on older expansions, even vanilla. Of course not with the same interface as Cataclysm, but with a custom one. Anyways is not that I would like it; actually I don't.

Yes you are able to switch display IDs, but you won't get the interface for it and I'm not certain how would you store the transmogrified data.

Yes you are able to switch display IDs, but you won't get the interface for it and I'm not certain how would you store the transmogrified data.

Dude, why don't you believe me. There are many WotLK servers that already have the feature, I used to play on one. It has a custom interface, not the one from cataclysm (well calling it "interface" is kinda funny, because it is just a NPC with options).

Are you retarded or something? I just told you, you don't need an interface or addons to realize it. You can just put an NPC that lets you select a gear slot and then "sell" him an item from your bags that then gets the display ID of that slot assigned to that character.

I'm not even FOR that. In fact, I really don't give a shit. I'm just saying the argument that it can't be easily done within a week is retarded, especially considering how many times it's been done before and that there are already half-finished and somewhat-finished scripts lying around on the internet.

You don't need the fucking interface. It's useless overkill. Have you ever played 3.3.5 AT? They had transmog. It would take me maybe 8 hours to scrap the interface from a Cata client, port it to Wrath and make it so you don't have to interact with the NPC directly but can use the interface. Don't talk about shit you don't understand.

And more importantly, stop with the strawmanning. You keep bringing things up nobody said before and putting shit in our mouths because you're so fucking defense over your precious Vanilla WoW, but you actually have little understanding of how the game works.

I'm just saying the argument that it can't be easily done within a week is retarded
The only retarded things on this thread are your estimations. And your assumptions. I assure you that this fucking retarded feature that you've seen on other servers was not done in 1 week. Not even close. You need more than that only for properly design this feature, with all the constraints involved. You need to make changes to the database model, you aren't keeping that data in your rectum. Then you must add that fucking NPC and script the options. Then you must implement the shit itself. Then someone has to THOROUGHLY test your shit and make sure that the NPC is working properly and that the options selected are indeed reflected in the appearance. And bugs will be found and you need to FIX them.

And good fucking luck getting "half-finished scripts lying on the internet" probably done for WotLK and apply them to your heavily modified Vanilla server.

It would take me maybe 8 hours to scrap the interface from a Cata client, port it to Wrath and make it so you don't have to interact with the NPC directly but can use the interface. Don't talk about shit you don't understand.
You, sir, are a fucking genius :laugh:

You should really do that, then show it to Blizzard, I'm sure they will hire you instantly (that is if you're willing to leave NASA).

The only retarded things on this thread are your estimations. And your assumptions. I assure you that this fucking retarded feature that you've seen on other servers was not done in 1 week. Not even close. You need more than that only for properly design this feature, with all the constraints involved. You need to make changes to the database model, you aren't keeping that data in your rectum. Then you must add that fucking NPC and script the options. Then you must implement the shit itself. Then someone has to THOROUGHLY test your shit and make sure that the NPC is working properly and that the options selected are indeed reflected in the appearance. And bugs will be found and you need to FIX them.

And good fucking luck getting "half-finished scripts lying on the internet" probably done for WotLK and apply them to your heavily modified Vanilla server.

You, sir, are a fucking genius :laugh:

You should really do that, then show it to Blizzard, I'm sure they will hire you instantly (that is if you're willing to leave NASA).

You are talking out of your ass so much, it's actually quite amusing.
Here's how it works, create a new table referencing character GUID and one column for each slot storing the display ID. I don't know THEIR database structure, but they might have to reference the slots as well, if there's more data to it.
Use that table as a lookup and change ONLY the way it looks up the display ID. Use the current method as a backup for when the aforementioned table has no data for that slot.
Should take maybe 5-8 hours to do that.

Now how to fill that table? Create an NPC that if you sell gear to it, writes to the table above and then puts that same piece of gear back in your bags (or never takes it in the first place). Should take maybe 8-10 hours, because things like weapons aren't so easy and you might wanna keep a list of exceptions.

Then spend some time testing yourself, fix bugs, have testers go over it, fix bugs.
Honestly, if all that in total takes longer than 40 hours, I'd be very very surprised. The groundwork has already been done. There's code snippets everywhere you can take/improve logic from. I didn't ever suggest copying code from people who did it for other expansions.

Also, you clearly have no clue how easy it is to extract interface data from an existing (Cata) client and just change the API functions it uses to communicate with the NPC to different ones needed in Vanilla or server commands/chat parsing. It took me less than a day to take the 3.3.5 arenaframes and make them work on TBC AT just by using a CHAT_MSG_ADDON parser for the spectator client data that's being sent out. It would be no different doing this for Vanilla, given that the server actually does send any data.

You are talking out of your ass so much, it's actually quite amusing.
Here's how it works, create a new table referencing character GUID and one column for each slot storing the display ID. I don't know THEIR database structure, but they might have to reference the slots as well, if there's more data to it.
Use that table as a lookup and change ONLY the way it looks up the display ID. Use the current method as a backup for when the aforementioned table has no data for that slot.
Should take maybe 5-8 hours to do that.

Now how to fill that table? Create an NPC that if you sell gear to it, writes to the table above and then puts that same piece of gear back in your bags (or never takes it in the first place). Should take maybe 8-10 hours, because things like weapons aren't so easy and you might wanna keep a list of exceptions.

Then spend some time testing yourself, fix bugs, have testers go over it, fix bugs.
Honestly, if all that in total takes longer than 40 hours, I'd be very very surprised. The groundwork has already been done. There's code snippets everywhere you can take/improve logic from. I didn't ever suggest copying code from people who did it for other expansions.

Also, you clearly have no clue how easy it is to extract interface data from an existing (Cata) client and just change the API functions it uses to communicate with the NPC to different ones needed in Vanilla or server commands/chat parsing. It took me less than a day to take the 3.3.5 arenaframes and make them work on TBC AT just by using a CHAT_MSG_ADDON parser for the spectator client data that's being sent out. It would be no different doing this for Vanilla, given that the server actually does send any data.

Don't bother replying to him, he's just arguing since he doesn't want to lose the argument :laugh:

Actually I don't care, I'm just amused by his ramblings. I've seen many people like this, good at theorizing, but then completely fucked when trying to do the actual thing work. They are usually young and have never worked on serious projects, where you don't really want to have major bugs on the final product.

But then again, if he's so amazing, he should join the Kronos team, and help fix those many bugs lighting fast. Oh wait, he doesn't have time or other shit like that.

To actually understand what narrow minded he is, here's a list of things he didn't consider AT ALL, taken from the Blizzard transmog rules (which are most likely set like that after a lot of thinking):

The character must be able to equip both items.
Only uncommon (green), rare (blue) or epic (purple) items may be transmogrified
Items must share the same armor type (examples: plate for plate, cloth for cloth)
Weapons must be the same weapon type (exceptions: Guns, Crossbows, or Bows)
Guns, Crossbows, and Bows can be used to transmogrify Guns, Crossbows, or Bows.
Main hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Main hand weapons.
Off-hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Off-hand weapons.
One handed weapons can be used to transmogrify a Main hand or Off-hand weapon.
Using an item for transmogrify makes it soulbound.
Legendary items cannot be transmogrified.
Legendary items cannot be used to transmogrify.
Fishing Poles cannot be transmogrified.
Fishing Poles cannot be used to transmogrify.
Mailing an item strips its transmogrification.
The displayed enchant will be that of the currently equipped item.

To implement such rules, you must carefully plan ahead and do some thinking. For example, I wouldn't do these rules hardcoded in a script, like a ******, I would somehow model the restrictions in the database and make the script using that data.

To test such a list of rules, and do it properly, you need to make some serious test cases, that alone takes a lot of time. You can't just test whatever you think at the moment and hope for the best. Well, you probably can, but not in my world, where the clients pay a shitload of money and don't want to see bugs and excuses everywhere.

And it's not only the appearance, for example if you transmog a bow to a gun, you have to change the sound too, you don't want a bow that does boom boom boom and a gun doing fffffsssst fffffsssst fffffsssst.

There's also the armory, that has to be changed as well...

And talking about bugs, Blizzard implemented the transmog feature, they tested it with their top QA teams, they had it on PTR and people still encountered shit like this

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8178048076
And you can be sure that it took them more than one week to implemented :laugh:

I'm sure the reason why almost all the private servers are full of bugs is not only the small development teams but also the cowboy attitude towards development. "Yeah, this is easy, one day" lol. "What there are bugs, meh, that's minor, will just fix those in 2023"
But then again, it's possible that I'm wrong and it's easy peasy :tongue:

You guys are way off topic in any case.

The point of the thread is to see a broad (and admittedly vague) idea of how people feel about this continuing to be allowed.

Time spent on the N forum will honestly show you that many have chosen to avoid Kronos with this being one of their main reasons.

Every potential player counts, and I think if something like this contributes what-so-ever to losing players, it should be abolished and reformed/fixed.

The character must be able to equip both items.
Only uncommon (green), rare (blue) or epic (purple) items may be transmogrified
Items must share the same armor type (examples: plate for plate, cloth for cloth)
Weapons must be the same weapon type (exceptions: Guns, Crossbows, or Bows)
Guns, Crossbows, and Bows can be used to transmogrify Guns, Crossbows, or Bows.
Main hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Main hand weapons.
Off-hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Off-hand weapons.
One handed weapons can be used to transmogrify a Main hand or Off-hand weapon.
Using an item for transmogrify makes it soulbound.
Legendary items cannot be transmogrified.
Legendary items cannot be used to transmogrify.
Fishing Poles cannot be transmogrified.
Fishing Poles cannot be used to transmogrify.
Mailing an item strips its transmogrification.
The displayed enchant will be that of the currently equipped item.

How is that not covered?
A stupid concept that is usually NOT applied to private servers transmogs. Also applies to legendaries.
See above, but not exactly hard to to check if two object shave the same property.
You may have misread, but I actually said that that weapons require some more work.
Again, stupid concept usually not applied on private servers, yet - see point #3.
See what I said about weapons.
That's the first case that actually needs a little more work and MAYBE a test case.
See what I said about checking a single property.
You can't mail soulbound items and there are no heirlooms in Vanilla.
The enchant would not change by just adjusting the display ID.

That leaves us with a little bit of extra work and possibly ONE test case.
Of course you also said that the sounds would have to match, but I'm almost sure that when changing the display ID in your WDB folder, that already works. So the client must already be doing most the work.
AND that's actually a test case you can't write a test case for, but have to do manual testing. I mean, you could hook a debugger to your client, but what's the point in that when manual testing is much faster and at least as thorough?

Either way, I'm done here. My point was that it can easily be done in earlier versions of the game and you've agreed with this. You can definitely implement a basic feature like this in a week. Sure, if you come up with a bunch of unnecessary constraints because you want everything "exactly 100% blizzlike", it's going to take you longer.
But my point was never that it should be done or take away the devs' time.

Time spent on the N forum will honestly show you that many have chosen to avoid Kronos with this being one of their main reasons.

Every potential player counts, and I think if something like this contributes what-so-ever to losing players, it should be abolished and reformed/fixed.

yes, aside of the lower population, it seems to be the biggest contra and anti-PR.
if you want to attract more players and keep your current happy, kronos should get rid of the cross faction mounts ASAP.

You guys are way off topic in any case.

The point of the thread is to see a broad (and admittedly vague) idea of how people feel about this continuing to be allowed.

They also need to get rid of the donation and character auction system to get those players.

They also need to get rid of the donation and character auction system to get those players.
To me that sounds like the same as asking Blizzard to get rid of their new game token item - trading is going to happen whether they like it or not, only this way it's safe and everyone can see it. I only wish people would stop assuming that you can buy a generated level 60, which is a point I could understand.

I can almost guarantee that Nost will fall victim eventually to server over-population, putting many in a position to switch. We need to be the best realm we can be when they are looking in to making that switch.

I personally don't like seeing people running around on PvP mounts who didn't earn it either.

At least these things don't affect game play though. Except that these people don't have to save up for mounts of course.

can a GM reply to this?! what is going to happen to the cross faction mounts? will it remain as it currently is?

Regarding crossfaction mounts: We promised that mounts would only be available to their intended faction. However, due to miscommunication within the team we were not aware that the Account Manager did not support such limitations.

The Cross faction Mounts will continue to stay a feature.

When did this bug/mistake become a feature?

Top Bottom