• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

More players should be coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to lead the largest guild on the Emerald Dream 1x server (@Feenix), we got to 700 total members with 105 being our online record, and 0 trolling in our gchat. When the release of Nostalrius halved population there, and I was insulted by their admin while trying to be propositional to help that server recover, I realized I'd move the guild to somewhere else better.

I played on Nostalrius for a week, then Kronos was launched, tried it for a week as well, same zones, same classes, to be able to make an unbiased comparison. Despite the numbers on Nostalrius were overwhelming already, I felt as a guild leader - hence bound by responsibility towards so many members - I had to choose wisely and try to imagine things in perspective, to pick what would be better for them in the long run. I went for Kronos because it seemed the most promising realm, better website organization, AWESOME bugtracker (Nostalrius didn't even have one yet), better scripts, better staff.

I made up my mind, the core of the guild agreed, so I wrote a huge wall of text on our site to show everyone the results of my tests, with comparative screenshots about both realms, and possibly convince as many of them as possible to move here. Through April, 60 guildies left their ED toons behind (of course, many of them with lots of gold, raiding gear, epic mounts and whatnot) to reroll on Kronos. I myself accepted to scrap what was in our guild bank (pre-raid BiS gear and about 2500g) for the promise that Kronos represented.

So I can safely say I could single-handedly bring 60 players on Kronos, and with a little more effort and patience (more of the old members followed us in the last two months), that initial core has grown by 7 times, with 420 members currently, and the #2 largest active base realm wide. I even asked one of our ED members, DotMatrix, to enable his census site for Kronos, providing the realm with the most accurate population statistics to date: Kronos-Census.com for those interested or mistrusting my words.

Leading a large guild allows you an unmatched insight to how population twists on a realm. You can tell a realm is thriving when you are not having a hard time recruiting new players for your guild. During our last months on ED pretty much no-one would join us, on Kronos we are joined by 10-15 people a day, on average. When we started here, about 5% of our guild was made up of american players, now that percentage value has raised to almost 30%. Yet another proof of Kronos being healthy is that, despite the summer season that's just begun, the active weekly base is keeping steadily on 7000-7500 players, whereas on every private realm it's supposed to dwindle in this period.

Kronos doesn't really need boosted XP rates, bonuses nor special features of sort, and we have literally nothing to worry about. A little patience and commitment from the current players, a constant influx of fixed bugs, and time will do the rest. ED itself had similar numbers in its first days, despite there still was no competition and although it didn't provide such quality nor uptimes (hell, not even the faintest hint of a DDoS attack in 3 months and almost week-long uptimes, something like I've never seen).

Fear not, Kronos will slowly gain the upper hand.

Former ED player from Stormlords chiming in, Meah, don't know if you remember me. Just wanted to say that it was Moradins comparison of Kronos and Nost that made me pick Kronos. My IRL friends wanted the population and went to Nostalrius instead. Guess where they are now? Yep, here on Kronos. Idc what they say about nostrils, but the population there is not healthy. My friends sat in Norway with fucking fiber optic net with laggspikes and a 1 second delay on casting. It was unbearable. Im playing on horde side now, so Moradin, greet the guild from me! :winkiss:

You can consider this like a stress test. The realm that I shouldn't outlive will be the realm that deserves seeing me hit 60... Emerald Dream couldn't make it, may Kronos be that one.

Former ED player from Stormlords chiming in, Meah, don't know if you remember me. Just wanted to say that it was Moradins comparison of Kronos and Nost that made me pick Kronos. My IRL friends wanted the population and went to Nostalrius instead. Guess where they are now? Yep, here on Kronos. Idc what they say about nostrils, but the population there is not healthy. My friends sat in Norway with fucking fiber optic net with laggspikes and a 1 second delay on casting. It was unbearable. Im playing on horde side now, so Moradin, greet the guild from me! :winkiss:

Of course I remember you Meah... well I mean your name ringed a bell at least eheh. According to our records back from ED, you joined us on 11 January 2015, night elf warrior, Norway. You made it to level 43 and were last seen online on 2 April 2015. Shame that you rerolled as Horde... good luck over there, hopefully my guys won't hurt you too much should they run into you :p

Last edited:
You can consider this like a stress test. The realm that I shouldn't outlive will be the realm that deserves seeing me hit 60... Emerald Dream couldn't make it, may Kronos be that one.

Of course I remember you Meah... well I mean your name ringed a bell at least eheh. According to our records back from ED, you joined us on 11 January 2015, night elf warrior, Norway. You made it to level 43 and were last seen online on 2 April 2015. Shame that you rerolled as Horde... good luck over there, hopefully my guys won't hurt you too much should they run into you :p

Yup thanks, my name is now Sesebi IG, orc hunter, if there is another ally hunter up for trade, then i will try to make a switch!

Kronos doesn't really need boosted XP rates, bonuses nor special features of sort, and we have literally nothing to worry about. A little patience and commitment from the current players, a constant influx of fixed bugs, and time will do the rest. ED itself had similar numbers in its first days, despite there still was no competition and although it didn't provide such quality nor uptimes (hell, not even the faintest hint of a DDoS attack in 3 months and almost week-long uptimes, something like I've never seen).

Fear not, Kronos will slowly gain the upper hand.

/Agree 100%. Kronos does not need gimmicks or enhancements to the exp rate in order to attempt to make grabs at other communities members. The features and support we get to live with everyday from this team is enough to make people who are willing to take the plunge jump ship.

I don't wish any harm to come to those other servers. In reality it would probably benefit both communities if the populations spread out. It would lower the impact on the other server thus maybe fixing lag (IDK what exactly is the cause, I really do not follow them at all).

If things really are as bad as some say,(still not confirmed) then why change anything? The team should just keep chugging along fighting the good fight. "If you build it, they will come." -FoD

-PP

Last edited:
/Agree 100%. Kronos does not need gimmicks or enhancements to the exp rate in order to attempt to make grabs at other communities members. The features and support we get to live with everyday from this team is enough to make people who are willing to take the plunge jump ship.

I don't wish any harm to come to those other servers. In reality it would probably benefit both communities if the populations spread out. It would lower the impact on the other server thus maybe fixing lag (IDK what exactly is the cause, I really do not follow them at all).

If things really are as bad as some say,(still not confirmed) then why change anything? The team should just keep chugging along fighting the good fight. "If you build it, they will come." -FoD

-PP

No offense but you're rather biased and should probably look at it from the point of view of someone who spent half a month of play time or more on another server. The "features and support" of Kronos are definitely great however thats certainly not enough for someone to spend another half a month of play time just to level to 60 on a server that may or may not die because of the lack of population, that's a pretty big risk you would want people to take, I wouldn't gamble half a month spent in a game away, I don't think many people would.

Last edited:
. The "features and support" of Kronos are definitely great however thats certainly not enough for someone to spend another half a month of play time just to level to 60 .

Half a month play time to get to 60? Are you high? With as little ganking and camping as there is here you can easily get to 60 with 5-6 days played, depending on class, especially if you've just lvled at nost and more or less know the quests.

Half a month play time to get to 60? Are you high? With as little ganking and camping as there is here you can easily get to 60 with 5-6 days played, depending on class, especially if you've just lvled at nost and more or less know the quests.

Takes the average person around 10 days of gameplay to hit 60.

Takes the average person around 10 days of gameplay to hit 60.
^
Half a month was a bit of an exaggeration but its still a stupidly large amount of time, especially for any adult with a job and real life responsibilities.

^
Half a month was a bit of an exaggeration but its still a stupidly large amount of time, especially for any adult with a job and real life responsibilities.

took me 16 days played to get to 60 on my main. I just hit 60 this weekend, I just enjoy playing the game. For someone with a full time job, a partner to entertain along with other commitments it can take a person waaay longer then a month.

Well, for casual player, it's 8 days of played ingame, if you play 2 hours per day, then it's 96 days.

took me 16 days played to get to 60 on my main. I just hit 60 this weekend, I just enjoy playing the game. For someone with a full time job, a partner to entertain along with other commitments it can take a person waaay longer then a month.

This is where I am at right now. I've got an 8-5 with 1 hour commute home, a wife to spend time with, and chores to get done around the house I am expecting a very long haul to 60. I'm taking my time with it, working on my professions, and enjoying the world around me like it's the first time all over again.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, for casual player, it's 8 days of played ingame, if you play 2 hours per day, then it's 96 days.

This is where I always seem to have issues. A lot of people go something along the lines of "It only takes like 3 days played." Yeah, that 72 hours of playing the game, that is over a month if you average 2 hours a day!

- - - Updated - - -

^

Yep, jobs and responsibilities make it hard for the casual player. If I could just play 10 hours a day then it would take no time at all I'm sure but it's going to be a long journey to end game.

Vanilla WoW is not really for people that play 2 hours a day... I can actually take like 15-30 minutes just to travel between quest objective. Now if we consider ganking... :laugh:

I've seen people complaining on Nos that it takes 4 hours to do 1 level in the 30s, because of ganking. On Kronos that happens in the late 50s... So we can assume that the game really sucks for some people there and they should actually have no problem to change to a server that's actually playable, not just running in ghost form like an *****. That should be incentive enough for anyone that has at least half a brain: a server that you can... actually play on :w00t:

I call bullshit. Let's assume you are the average player here. You want to level professions, even secondaries, maybe grind so you can definitely afford your mount by level 40 and do dungeons for fun along the way (at least every major dungeon once for the quests). You also don't happen to play a lock/hunter/mage, so leveling for you isn't piss fucking easy. Now you have to be 1 or 2 levels above the quests you're currently doing and constantly switch zones because quests will start to outlevel you too quickly.

There you go, average player now needs ~10 days /played, possibly more. On retail, my first character took me 18 days /played. I was a priest, I did dungeons a lot but I barely tried to solve quests myself. I always had wowhead open and looked in the comments for how to solve quests, with maybe the exception of the first 15 levels or so.

Seriously, the average player will NOT get to 60 in 5-6 days /played. Also consider how many players Nost attracted who have never touched Vanilla. You expect them after that long journey they just finished to switch over without a second thought? That's just not gonna happen.
On top of that, do you not want Kronos to attract people completely new to the game? For me, personally, that would be the ultimate goal if I ran a server. "Make" a game so fun, it looks like something that people wanna try.

The other day i met two players who had never played wow before, it was awesome! So cool to see noobs trying out Kronos and enjoying its near flawless gameplay. More players should try it out too :smile:

Vanilla WoW is not really for people that play 2 hours a day...

Not true at all, wow is one of the best MMOs for playing in short bursts. You can log in, do a few quests and then log out again and still have made some progress. This was a major selling point at the time of release.

I dont understand people who feel like endgame is all there is. Sure you're probably tired of seeing the same content after leveling your fifth character to 60, but before then I don't see a reason to rush. You will get to 60 sooner or later anyway, enjoy the ride.

Not true at all, wow is one of the best MMOs for playing in short bursts. You can log in, do a few quests and then log out again and still have made some progress. This was a major selling point at the time of release.

I dont understand people who feel like endgame is all there is. Sure you're probably tired of seeing the same content after leveling your fifth character to 60, but before then I don't see a reason to rush. You will get to 60 sooner or later anyway, enjoy the ride.
yup, don't forget WoW basically started out as the casual alternative to everquest

No offense but you're rather biased and should probably look at it from the point of view of someone who spent half a month of play time or more on another server. The "features and support" of Kronos are definitely great however thats certainly not enough for someone to spend another half a month of play time just to level to 60 on a server that may or may not die because of the lack of population, that's a pretty big risk you would want people to take, I wouldn't gamble half a month spent in a game away, I don't think many people would.

I honestly cannot see it from the other point of view. Both servers are free and they both fall under the Private server label. At any point in time they could be wiped out of existence by big brother. I am not investing all my heart and soul into something that could just as easily be gone tomorrow.

If I decided to leave Kronos and join another server that was x1, I wouldn't expect them to grant me anything to increase my leveling just because I used to play somewhere else. They obviously must have already offered something that made me switch in the first place.(right?) I also would not consider it lost time. People need to realize this is just a game and it is meant to be there for you to enjoy. I remember IRL some fellow wow player said to me once:

For just $15 a month you always have something to do.
It still holds true, or at least it did until it became what it is today. (Looks at WoD)

While your opinion may be that you would rather have a server with 6k players (even if that impacts the game play...in form of lag and reduced quality)

My opinion will always be that I would rather have a server with 1k players (even if that impacts game play...in form of no players no groups no raids)

Weather a server is struggling for population or is completely over populated both of those situations suck. They just suck in their own ways and as I stated above may impact players in different ways.

Here is my analogy: Wall of Text
You have two row boats that can hold 20 people (10 oars on each side) These boats are used to take a leisurely ride along a calm but deep river.

Kronos has 10 people (Only 5 on each side) They are slow moving and some of the users are suffering some fatigue due to having to row harder due to the lack of people. While others who are stronger and have more stamina may not be feeling the fatigue just quite yet. Then some of them are saying to them selves. "Man, this place is really baron and there aren't enough people to talk to." I can't wait to get off. They see the other server boat gaining on them with break neck speed. Some are worried, others are elated by the mass of the party.

Other server has 45 people (20 on each side + some just doing nothing) They are flying down the river with great speed. However, some of the users are forced to stand and others are constantly grabbing the oars from one another. The boat is over capacity and it is just above the water line. They are taking on water due to the capacity issue. They see the Kronos boat ahead in the distance. Some are itching to pass them others are saying "I need to get the **** off this boat". Then even others are saying "but I paddled all this way. I need to make it to the other side and stick it out."

Let me point out...THERE IS NO RACE! We are both here to enjoy the river, the ride, the scenery the adventure.

I think this analogy might actually be more biased than my original statement. However, this is indeed the Kronos forums, and on top of that this thread was started with such a negative tone so, I think it is fair game to make this analogy which I really want to stress my main point. This is not a race. It is more like buying the same exact car from two different dealers. It may be in the long run we both come out on top or side by side.
Obviously, our play styles are different. I could care less about the raids at this point. I am content with experiencing the journey and reliving those days that are so long behind me.

Just because my opinion differs from yours does not mean either of us is wrong. I think people piss away half there lives on shitty games nowadays anyway. That has nothing to do with WoW. That is why I feel like there are indeed people who will either push through and stay with the other servers or will give this one a shot.

Thanks for reading,
-PP

I call bullshit. Let's assume you are the average player here. You want to level professions, even secondaries, maybe grind so you can definitely afford your mount by level 40 and do dungeons for fun along the way (at least every major dungeon once for the quests). You also don't happen to play a lock/hunter/mage, so leveling for you isn't piss fucking easy. Now you have to be 1 or 2 levels above the quests you're currently doing and constantly switch zones because quests will start to outlevel you too quickly.

There you go, average player now needs ~10 days /played, possibly more. On retail, my first character took me 18 days /played. I was a priest, I did dungeons a lot but I barely tried to solve quests myself. I always had wowhead open and looked in the comments for how to solve quests, with maybe the exception of the first 15 levels or so.

Seriously, the average player will NOT get to 60 in 5-6 days /played. Also consider how many players Nost attracted who have never touched Vanilla. You expect them after that long journey they just finished to switch over without a second thought? That's just not gonna happen.
On top of that, do you not want Kronos to attract people completely new to the game? For me, personally, that would be the ultimate goal if I ran a server. "Make" a game so fun, it looks like something that people wanna try.

The guy I responed to wasn't talking about the people completely new to the game or average players. He was talking about people who had just lvled to 60 on Nost and were hesitant to make the switch. They would know the quest and the zones because they have just done it and would be a lot quicker than the average player. And you don't really have to grind to get money for mount, if you just do quests and lvl normaly, you will have it around 43-44.

What you say certainly doesn't apply to vanilla. What progress do you see in 2 hours? You can't even do a dungeon for fuck's sake. Find a group, it takes forever and we have a world chat, doesn't even compare to retail before LFG. The go to the dungeon, which is usually on the other side of the universe. Maybe wipe a little. Maybe have someone leave and start yelling again in world chat (again, much better and easier than retail back then). Then turn in quests, each in another quadrant of the galaxy. You can end up not even finding a group and call it a day :w00t:

Now on retail these days is exactly as you say... There's now even a level 1 mount :laugh:

What you say certainly doesn't apply to vanilla. What progress do you see in 2 hours? You can't even do a dungeon for fuck's sake. Find a group, it takes forever and we have a world chat, doesn't even compare to retail before LFG. The go to the dungeon, which is usually on the other side of the universe. Maybe wipe a little. Maybe have someone leave and start yelling again in world chat (again, much better and easier than retail back then). Then turn in quests, each in another quadrant of the galaxy. You can end up not even finding a group and call it a day :w00t:

Now on retail these days is exactly as you say... There's now even a level 1 mount :laugh:
While leveling, you don't exactly need to do dungeons daily. And on 60, a dungeon in 2 hours is perfectly doable.

My opinion will always be that I would rather have a server with 1k players (even if that impacts game play...in form of no players no groups no raids)

The problem is, during US times the server never gets over 300 players on both sides combined, I'm sorry but that's not a healthy population and as far as I've seen checking the census every day for the past week so far that number has been going down slowly and that should be worrying for any Kronos player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom